Leica R4 Questions

Hello, I am completely new to Leica SLR cameras. I did a search but

could not seem to find the right answers. I have been thinking

about buying a Leica R4s. What is the difference between that and

the R4? Is the R4s a reliable camera? Does it have built-in

diopters in the viewfinder or will it take diopters in the

viewfinder? Any overall opinions regarding the R4s or any other

Leica R camera would be much appreciated. I will be using the

camera sparingly- some street shooting, family, vacations etc.

All the "R" series except for the last two, are just rebadged Minoltas. Their electronics have a bad reputation for unreliability. Why would you want to invest in overpriced and obsolete Leica equipment to make occasional snapshots of your wife and kids?

Thanks Bill, that is just the type of answer I am looking for. A friend of mine has one of these and raves about it. I have held it a couple times and liked the way it felt, handled, etc. But I have heard stories about unreliablity in these cameras. I would also like to use the Leica lenses, but if the camera scares me off, I will probably go back to my Nikon F3 system which I regrettably sold a few years ago.

Leica R cameras, models SL, SL2, R6 & later models are rewarrantiable by Leica, whereas other R models are not. You might want to take that into consideration before jumping into a purchase. Honestly IMHO, if you are merely planning on using the camera sparingly, don't waste your money, you won't be able to match the capabilities of the glass or film with so little use. Get a good consumer grade SLR (film or digital), you'll have more fun for less expense.

Rick, there are quite a bit of mis inforamtion on the web about R4

such as "rebadged Minolta" extra. R4 was a the result of cooperation

between Minolata and Leica, the body by Minolta, the reflex mirror

mechanisam and the exposure meter electronics were all by Leica.

As for the reliability of R4, you better enquired from photographers

who actually used R4s in their work and not from hearsays. A good reference is

Douglas Herr's article <a href="http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/r4.html">R4s</a>. I personally don't believe all those misinformation, because looking up

the serial number of Leica SLRs, R4 series happed to be the most popular Leica SLR model, out sold any R models, could such as popular

camera be that bad ? No way. So I bought myself a R4 to find out.

It works flawlessly, no problem at all.

The R4 finder annoys me because the shutter speed numbers are illuminated only by light from the scene being photographed. The R5 and subsequent models use LEDs to light the numbers. The R5, R6, R6.2, and R7 have a diopter adjustment that will make up for small changes in your vision, since your last eye appointment--although they won't correct my minus 4.0 diopter vision. That would require a separate correction lens.

My R6 acts "lazy" when I press the shutter. There's a perceptible lag, maybe 1/5 second. With the motor drive in place, it becomes instantly responsive. My R5 exhibits none of this laziness. It's snappier. Neither, however, is as snappy as my F3, which is more hair-trigger like. The R6 and 6.2 use a three-diode exposure display, just like an M6TTL. I really get along well with that.

R4 through R7 are not just rebadged Minoltas. They are built on a Minolta chassis, yes. But from there on, the camera is a Leica. Leitz/Leica made the prism, which is more accurately ground than those in Nikons. I love my FE2 and F3, but the finder display in my R cameras is brighter and easier/snappier to focus. And best of all, I get to shoot with Leica glass. I use my Nikons anymore only for shooting my 16mm fisheye, 20mm Nikkor, 24mm Nikkor, 28mm Nikkor PC, 35mm Nikkor PC, and my 300mm and 400mm telephotos. The rest of the Nikkors will probably get sold eventually.

Im surprised about the comments not to bother if your not going to use it alot. Checking out prices at the moment on R lenses and they are so CHEAP! Mint in box 250mm f4 for $280.00 on Ebay the other day. 135mm f2.8 for $180 again mint in box. If people want into Leica inexpensively Leica R is the way to do it. The early R's do have a reputation for quirky electronics, they usually blame Minolta for this but if Leica had used the electronics from the XD series Minoltas they wouldnt have had any problems so this rumour certainly isnt true. R4's can be found quite cheaply too so just check it out and see if you can get a 3 month warranty or something and give it ago. Those lenses are sooooooo cheap these days!

Rick, I've used several R4-series bodies. They don't have a

built-in diopter adjustment but supplementary diopter lenses are

available. The R4 I now have has been reliable aside from

deteriorated foam light seals, which were easily replaced.<P>

I used a pair of R4s bodies for several years; they gave excellent

service as long as you get a CLA every ten years or so, and keep

them away from excess humidity. IMHO the R4 and R4s have

some interface problems that were solved with the R4sP (R4s

Model 2 outside North America): the mode switch is too easy to

switch, the exposure compensation is a bit fiddly, and on the

R4s, the shutter speed you've selected isn't shown in the

viewfinder in manual mode.<P>

As for whether they are re-badged Minoltas or not, I suppose

we'll never get 100% agreement. The R4 was designed in

cooperation with Minolta, and uses some Minolta-sourced

components. It was made at the Leitz facility in Portugal. Leitz

and now Leica had been making use of other companies'

expertise for a long time before the R4: meter movements and

circuit boards in the Leicalfexes, and Tamron lenses for

specialized copy equipment, for example. Even now the top

plates of the cameras and R9 shutters are outsourced.

The R4 was known to have electronics problems with the early models. If you were to buy a later-production R4 (see Doug Herr's website for a serial number range) that was in good operating condition things should be in your favor that the camera will prove reliable.

Leitz evidently made one or more running changes in the camera to correct the problem; presumably the source of the trouble has been eliminated. Even more important, probably, is a "survival of the fittest" effect. With many electronic devices, there is a early period of "infant mortality" when failures due to manufacturing defects occur, a long period of high reliability, then a final period when things are just worn out. Manufacturers find extended warranties very profitable because they are insuring the performance equipment in the middle, low failure rate period.

If an R4 has survived this long and is still working properly it probably will do so for some time. My R4 works perfectly but note that I shelled out for a CLA.

Wether you want/need/should have Leitz optics for occasional use is a separate question.

I have the R4 (with the R6/R7 focusing screen fitted) RE, and R8. I like the R4 the best for low light photography as it has the biggest viewfinder magnification. The R4 is a fantastic camera but be carefull when purchasing, check the light seal on the casmera back.

Regards

JJ