Leica Q2 + Fuji EF-X20 Flash

johnmajames

Does anyone know if the Fuji mini EF-X20 flash is compatible with the Leica Q2? I saw a photographer working with it (or at least looked like he had the X20 mounted), but I cannot get it to fire when mounted...
I'm probably not the best one to answer this as I'm an M shooter and rarely use flash, but if you look at the bottom of your Fuji flash unit you will notice that the metal connector pattern is different from that on the hot shoe of your Q2. You need to use a Leica dedicated flash unit for everything to work properly.
  • Like 1

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Go view the unit on the B&H site and read the reviews. Evidently there is at least one Q2 owner using this unit, but it would only be in manual mode. The TTL features are only for Fuji but the center contact point is all you need to fire the unit and be able to use manual mode, if you are prepared for the procedure that manual flash demands.

I expect that stuff to work together in manual mode. Have you tested the flash on another ordinary camera? Did you put the Q into a suitable mode for flash photography; i.e. manual shutter speed, aperture & ISO? - I am not familiar with it but can imagine Leica including fool proofing, fail safing stepping stones, like not synchronizing 3rd party flashes in "no matter what (besides focus) on auto"- modes. - They don't let us shoot close ups wide open with their APS MILC either...

You can probably use it in manual mode only, which might be all you need, but it would be like stepping back to the early 70s when most people found flash photography a pain. I would at least get a small auto unit if you don't want to spluge on a TTL capable flash.
Robin Smith