Leica MP differences...

Gus Lazzari

<p>For those of you who are into details.<br>

We know about the exterior differences, but their are some interesting minor differences<strong> internally</strong>:<br>

The next few images might just show you some things you didn't realize...</p>

<p>Let's start it off with the top dimensions of the subject camera and it's close relative, an M6TTL.</p><div>00YCsA-331567584.JPG.65d3bc6c34474ae001addc6d52ce3a35.JPG</div>

<p>Both camera models exhibit wonderful choices in materials. The engineering can evolve slightly but is <strong>usually</strong> for the better.</p>

<p>Under close examination, the feel fit and finish of either the MP or the special edition M6TTL units (Which have the same rewind, advance and top-plate styles) are of the highist caliber.</p>

<p>Well, hope that enlighten us in some small but technical ways.<br /> Until my next "view inside" that's it for now.</p>

<p>Great images, Gus. Thanks for sharing them. Is the brass building-up you show in some photos simply to bring the assemblies into line with the dimensions of the top cover, or do thay have some added mechanical function in the MP? My M4-2 (long sold), and presumably later models, like my M4-P, had a stamped on rather than engraved counter wheel that was used in former M models. Does the M6 and /or MP go back to the engraved discs, or are they more economically just stamped? (Of course, the latter is not of major importance)</p>

<p>Arthur, as you probably know, brass is a very dense and some consider "self lubricating" metal. (Try drilling into brass; the bit just sits there spinning. Use of more than normal force and a very sharp bit must be employed to get through it )<br /> Our very own Pnet'er <strong><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5903148">Ray Cutting</a></strong>, may be able to comment more on this. He's a Pro with metal.</p>

<p>The component in the 2nd & 3rd pictures is threaded for the top-plate securing ring. Using brass there allows it to be removed often and without binding. The under appreciated rewind fork (in the 4th picture) has good need of a self lubricating metal. It contributes to free up resistance under the <strong>load</strong> of a roll of film as you're winding / cocking the camera. (Even if the lubricant dries out)</p>

<p>Gus<br>

<p>You are absolutely correct in that the tools must be sharp, I experience this all the time in the machine shop, if a horizontal band saw blade is a little dull it will take longer to cut a piece of brass or bronze then it would the same size piece in steel.<br>

Don't even think about drilling a piece of s.s. with a dull bit, you will actually "work harden" the surface, the you will have difficulty continuing with a sharp one.<br>

Sorry got a little of topic here, but as far as their choice of using brass as a spacer, I just can't figure why, unless there’s an underling reason for it I can't see such as a bearing surface to lower friction.<br>

Of course machinability is better but the material cost is so much higher, about 8x.<br>

As far as "self lubricating", most definitely, this is why almost all bushings used for a bearing surface is almost always brass or bronze.</p>

</p>

• 1 year later...

Gus,

Thanks for the informing photos.

Can you please confirm whether or not the M6 TTL uses a brass top plate? From what I've understood, they switched

from zink to brass from serial 25xxxxx and onwards... Even though most where still sold in black chrome (not painted, like

the limited versions).

• 2 years later...
<p>I know this ia a distant thread, but I am in a study mode on the diferences between the MP, and the M6, and the move to Leica in general, and I'm not having an itch to scratch. My initial question is, the size differential of the shutter speed dials between the M6TTL and the MP. The MPs dial looks smaller, and possibly has less access by the hand while eye is in the viewfinder, other than that, it seems obvious that the MP posseses design characteristics that are more advanced than the M6TTL. The rewind knob on the MP is not a deal breaker with me. Hope to hear from the knowledgable crew here, thanks.</p>

• 1 year later...

Don, the MP rewind knob is a little less convenient to use, but more sturdy and less prone to bending or

breaking, especially if the camera is dropped. I've preferred the larger shutter speed dial on the M6 TTL and M7 to

previous Leica M's, which are harder to turn from wherever you turn it, but I can't say how much that's the case

with the MP. I'd assume it's similar unless something in the mechanics makes it smoother or less resistant.