Leica MP: Built for Extreme conditions.. how extreme?

paul_n2

From the Leica MP marketing literature: "The MP is independent of batteries and all its

operating elements are made of metal, so that it withstands heavy duty use under extreme

conditions."

I know it doesn't have weather seals like the Canon 1 series. How does the MP handle in

wet/rainy situations. Additionally, what about getting caught in a sandstorm? Yeah, I know

the filter on the lense would get sandblasted..

Ideally, I am looking for a camera that can be used while I'm hiking through rain forests, or

camping out at Burning Man. The last thing I want is to worry that I am destroying (or

have destroyed) the camera when I need it the most. I am not afraid of a little wear and

tear on the camera, it will just add to the magic when I pass it down to my son 25 years

from now. I just want to make sure that there will be a camera left to pass down..

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Leica is a very rugged camera. It however requires some care in usage! In a sandstorm at "Burning Man", tramping thru wet forests, protection in a plastic bag or similar is required. My Nikon-F which I know is stronger and more rugged, also requires such care.

The camera is not a hockey puck, unless used by the NHL, this past season! The main problem of very fine sand is how it can get into the insides of helical mounts and actual bodies. It is very difficult to clean out! I used my Nikon-F in South Africa one vacation. Thankfully

I "borrowed" my niece's school-backpack which had a "wet" compartment. Its used for swim suits and towels. I used it to keep out things! Crossing a small stream on the beach, i fell into a hole that submerged me and camera bag. Only a few drops of water penetrated the "wet" area. I was quicker to lift bag out of water, than myself!

The fact that the cameras(2) and 5 lenses were all in plastic seal type bags made it very safe.

And with the concern of the open gap in the MP viewfinder eyelens, I would not take an MP anywhere dusty, unless you ensure that the eyelens is properly sealed.

If you need an M with a meter, I would advise going with an M6 vintage camera.

regards,

Vick

When Mr. Lawrence Fishbein and his wife Gladys were vacationing in the Sahara he accidentally dropped his Leica MP in the sand. He didn't notice it was missing until his camel had traveled another 20 miles. Two months after the Fishbeins returned to their home in Cold, Vermont the MP appeared on their doorstep, weary and worn from its trek... it had followed them home. You see, Paul, a Leica MP is not only durable, it's smart... and loyal too. ;>

Dennis

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was just as I had suspected, marketing fluff; by

extreme conditions, they mean hot/cold, no battery.

Reminds me of an old quote from The Naked Gun series of shows/movies: ".. impervious

to everything but water."

""The MP is independent of batteries and all its operating elements are made of metal, so that it withstands heavy duty use under extreme conditions."

Why does battery independence or metal parts make it going to withstand heavy-duty use under extreme conditions? Aren't mechanisms made from tiny gears and springs that require specific lubrication to function accurately at least as susceptible as solid-state components? And isn't it a layman's misunderstanding that _every_ plastic is weaker than _any_ metal?

I think that's another topic but plastic when new is great and in many cases better than metal. The trouble is that plastic is a chemical compound that constantly changes when exposed to elements. Plastic deteriorates immediately after creation (slowly but surely). Give plastic 5 years of regular use and you will see the deterioration with a naked eye. If you leave it out on the sun then the deterioration will happen within weeks through ultraviolet rays.

Metal, if not corroded, will last unchanged for centuries.

What are the most "extreme" conditions that you folks have used your M/barnacks? Fog,

light mist, snow, etc.. I've used some DSLRs in all of those conditions w/o too many

issues. The camera has always been wiped down and kept dry whenever possible.

What is your definition of "extreme conditions" that you have put your camera through,

without permanent damage (scratches, dents, don't count)?

As with anything, Leicas are intended for specific duties. I don't think Leica intends for thier average shelf model camera to be used in really 'extreme' conditions. When you see an add for a 4X4 that tells how durable it is, do you think they intend it for military use in the Iraqi desert?? Get it? I don't know if they still offer the service but Leica used to service their cameras (on request) to operate in extreme conditions. This consisted of removing most of the lubricants (minute sand particles in lubricant makes a great rubbing compound) and sealing some of the entrance ways into the camera. Don't know if they still do it, but check NJ.

The Olympus Stylus is weather-resistant. It is well-protected when closed, with its clamshell door covering the lens. They are under $200 and can be replaced if need be.

My wife dropped her Stylus in the river while canoeing. It was in a small bag, not waterproof. We recovered it floating, but soaked. She opened it, pulled out the film, and we dreained and air-dried it in the sun for a few minutes. Back home, the lens and finder were all fogged up. I sealed it in a ziplock with all the dessicant packs I could round up. Eventually the lens and finder cleared. With a new battery in it, the camera worked fine. She took good pictures with it on a trip to Santa Fe. But I think she must have wanted a new one anyway, since she managed to lose it a few months later.

Conclusion: the Olympus Stylus can withstand everything except driving off with the camera still on the roof.

Bob,

Jeep doesn't say that their 4x4s will withstand a makeshift car bomb, or a side impact by

an RPG. They do, however, say that they are Trail Rated. And they mean it. In Tucson, I

took a stock Jeep Liberty down to Chivo Falls, and drove up/down the chute at Three

Feathers (google it for some pics/videos). People were absolutely amazed that the jeep

could handle the boulders/incline in stock form. The car lived up to Jeep's advertising.

I'm not asking if the MP can be submerged in water, I'm just trying to figure out what

they mean when they say that it can withstand "extreme conditions". As with any camera, I

try to take excellent care. I'm just curious if I can 'get the shot', which means the camera

will get dirty/wet briefly, or if the camera should stay snug in its bag, protected from the

elements.

How many bodies do war photogs go through? I'd love to see some stats on this.

It is very durable and rugged, kept in a dry fishtank it should survive for at least 100 years.

Other than that, since it's not sealed, there is no special protection against anything that could damage the delicate interiors. But of course it's made reasonably to survive normal use, no parts will fall of or break just from daily use. But preotect it from dust and moisture.

Being battery independant however can be very convenient, a dslr does not forgive if you forget the charger. Neither does the leica if you forget film, but i think it's still easy to get some in the most parts of this planet.

Dennis, can't you see they are studiously ignoring your wit? I appreciate it.

The MP is a pretty camera, but I have no reason to think it is any less durable than my M3, which has proven reliable and durable over many years, but I'm still not allowed to wilfully drop it on concrete or in salt water and expect it to bounce back into my hands unscathed.