Leica Minilux vs. Contax T2/T3 and Ricoh GR series

Marc, you can find out a lot about these cameras in the Point and Shoots section within the Leica forum. Also, if you are looking into such cameras, consider the Leica CM, which is similar to the Minilux. The CM produces pictures that are M-camera or SLR quality, and it has a hot shoe and TTL flash. It's really like a small, automated M-series camera, that lacks interchangeable lenses, and occasionally, has a slight shutter delay for all the auto stuff to work. The advantage is that is fits unobtrusively in your pocket. There is also the CM Zoom, but the lens is slow.

i only owned the contax T3.

it's manual function was convenient and accurate. the auto focus also lights up with the estimate distance, so you know when the auto focus has failed and you can realign accordingly.

it was super super sharp, with beautiful contrast. i noticed a slight vignetting at wide apertures on a very small percentage of shots.

very small and solid. loved it.

when i did lots and lots of research before i purchased a mini-camera, i generally concluded that all the cameras you mentioned are spectacular.

it probably just comes down to what features you need since one camera cannot span all feature sets.

<a href="http://www.kbcamera.com/pointshootshootout.htm">Point and shoot shoot out.</a><p>I've had a T3, a Leica CM and a GR1s. <p>I gave the T3 to my wife - she really likes it. It's a fantastic piece of kit, compact, great viewfinder, but those annoying menu functions really tried my patience. I like to turn a camera on, flick a switch or two and shoot - I hate having to trawl through menus to find the setting I want.<p>I sold the CM - I found it to be a superb camera, but some of the functions were a bit irritating and I <u>really</u> hate having to use menus. It also feels quite bulky compared to the other two. One major pain is the manual focus dial doesn't lock and it slips round very easily without you knowing. I had to train myself to check each time - annoying.<p>I would never get rid of the GR1s, it's the perfect size - tiny. I love it's 28mm lens as I'm a wide angle fan. But the most important feature, for me, is that all major functions (flash, aperture, EV compensation) are on switches, so it's extremely quick, easy and a pleasure to use. It's build quality is almost as good as the other two cameras and I love the black finish.<p>They all seem to be pretty close in terms of quality of photos.<p>It really boils down to what focal length you want and whether you can put up with irritating menus. Good luck!

For the price of a new Leica CM you could buy a mint Contax T2 AND a GR1-V. Both great cameras.

However the problem with that is that you would not have the Leica CM. And that would be too bad.

I have owned and used all three models and the Leica CM is the best for sure. The Minilux has the same 40mm f/2.4 lens (almost) as the CM but I would be too bothered by the Minilux's shutter problems occurring. (Why I used to own T2s instead)

Leica CM, the only film camera I have ever sold that I sometimes still hanker after.

The Minilux has vignetting problems at large apertures at least at f2.4.

Unfortunately the camera selects f2.4 once you set it for flash.

(It is possible to select a smaller aperture) The lens is very sharp

use a tripod and it will produce outstanding quality. I never used

Contax and the GR is just too wide.

I wanted something pocketable for traveling, i.e. riding on a Peso Bus in Cuba, and tried a Minilux Zoom and a Contax TVS 1st version at my local photodealer. I decided on the Contax because I can turn of the flash via a custom function and it feels smaller to me.

Actualy it fits into my jeans pockets.

It is now my sunshine camera and I seldom leave home without it.

Manfred, then I had a very stupid salesperson :-)

As he showed it to me, the flash was allways activated when the camera is turned on. On the Contax I can change the "turn on mode" to any of the flash modes.

It makes much more sense if the Minilux supports this, too!

The T2 was the best compact I owned from an ergonomic point of view. Decent viewfinder,

very intuitive button and 'aperture ring' interface, and an extremely solid build. Much better

than the T3 in this regard. Where the T3 wins out is in terms of shutter responsiveness (the

T2 has pretty terrible lag) and a superior (and closer focussing) lens. I've owned both and

sold both. If I was to buy another (which is highly unlikely) I'd probably go for a T2

again. I have no experience of the Minilux or CM other than playing around with them during

the buying research process. Both times I was in the market for a quality compact I was put

off by the Leica's squinty 'tunnel' viewfinder and plumped for the Contax brightline-based

alternative.

Volker , these days sales personell is trained to sell goods pushed

by the manufacturers. Ian comments correctly the viewfinder is a little tunnel like.To me acceptable but the vignetting is unfortunate its perhaps that Leica wanted the lens to be f2.4 I did some trails and found it very nearly dissapears at f3.5 So there it is still a very useful P&S especially since there is the option to override the auto.

I have not used the CM but from reports its much the same.

After a couple of minutes with the Leica CM instruction book it is easy to permanently disable flash from going off automatically and have it set 'only on demand'. The only time you would lose the setting would be if you left the battery out of the camera for longer than a minute when changing it. Then it would only take a few seconds to set it back again.

Yes the manual focus on the CM is easy(ish) to knock out of position but tell me a photographer who does not check his/her camera settings before use? (Unless of course if you like to leave everything in 'auto' mode in which case why buy a camera like the CM?) I would not dream of using even a budget digi P&S without ensuring I had the settings exactly how I wanted them before use. Moreso with a camera like the CM which deserves a lot of respect for the quality of pics it is capable of from a stunning lens, excellent (although unusual) metering, great VF, good handling and a better than usual built in flash with the option to use an SF24D on it's hotshoe with more flexibility (rear curtain/slow synch for instance)

I have the Minilux, T3, GR1s and the original Contax T. I accumulated too many, and need to sell some to get the R3a, just can't decide. I really like their small size (perfect for climbing, hiking, walking around with no specific photo objective) and tend to carry a couple loaded with different films.

The original T is the only one that stays for sure for the fun factor. GR1 has the best ergonomics, is the most compact and the 28mm is a reasonable compliment to a 38 or 40mm. I like the T3 because it is the most versatile of the bunch, I often use it with the TLA200 and bracket, and similar to the GR1s, it takes filters. The minilux is on the large size but still convenient if you use the ever-ready case, and it has a fantastic lens. I have not encountered noticeable or unpredictable vignetting. With the EO2 shutter error, I guess you take you chance, but lots of people have used them extensively and not encountered the problem.

If size is important - GR1 or T3, depending on focal lenth.

If cost -T2 - these are going for an unbelievably low US$250. Personally I'd pay a little more and get the Minilux. It is not as user friendly as the T2, not a particularly good viewfinder, I just like it more.

If I had the cash I'd seriously look at the CM because I like the 40mm. $900 (maybe $700 used) is just too much for me for this type of camera, particularly when you can get a T3 for significantly less, in NA anyway.

The T2 has a terrific lens and an exceptionally large and bright viewfinder for a P&S. I use

it only in AE mode; otherwise, it vignettes severely. At times, I have been tempted to

upgrade to the T3 but have never been convinced that I would get better results. Here's a

sample of what it can do.

Rob<div>00CHCR-23659884.jpg.07e583510f89b62074f5b7d8f939b322.jpg</div>