Leica MD shutter speed dial M6/MP/M3/M2/M4 way... Petition...

kik

I've been thinking about wich way they are going to built the shutter speed dial in the Leica

MD...

I hope both ways!

If not i'm ready to do a petition ...

Help needed...

I'm so used to the M6 way that I'm afraid they won't do it...

I think there is a lot of people in the same situation...

Let's unite!<div>00Ft8v-29213784.jpg.2e3c0458e30b1af393a61ce5254edefb.jpg</div>

If you spin the ial all the way and back one click it's 1/500, my usual outdoor speed. With the notch poining straight towards the front it's my usual flash/basic available light position of 1/30. Much faster than"counting clicks". It'll be too long when I can't hold the camera anymore...LOL

Depending on the 'logic' of the metereing system that will be employed, it makes sense to conform to "turn in the direction of the arrow" for simple reflexive response.

So much else will probably be different from the analog models, you will really be 'learning to drive a new car', with all the benefits that brings.

Our older models have their foibles (as do we), lets hope the new baby kicks of well configured, regardless of what we are used to.

I never bought a Leica because I think they're expensive. But I do like them and from time to time I like reading the messages in this forum.

This very one is quite interesting: the fact that Leica might do the shutter dial in a way or another really worries you. In animal species, the ones or individuals who are not able to adapt, die.

I'm not saying "go digital" or stuff like this... but try not to exagerate, because sometimes (seen from the outside) it is really ridicolous...

Bruno

Not discounting the adapt or die reality of the corporate world

One of the nice things about Leicas is a continuity of user interface between all the models. If you've used an R4 for years, then going to an R9 and the DMR is a seemless transition. Everything is where you expect it to be. You don't need to read the manual to make an R9 work.

With the Ms for example, that philosophy of continuity and no planned obsolesce means that Leica users can sill use lenses made in 1954 on a camera that came off the production line yesterday.

On a manual camera a SS dial is an important thing. The new SS dial set up for the M6TTL was logical... but people had to change the way they worked. I small design change but one that did have on-the-ground effects simply because the seasoned Leica (as oposed to new) user had to adapt to a changed interface. That's not what Leicas are about.

C.

Also, Bruno, many of us are used to working with two or three bodies, each with a different lens. I usually carry 21, 35 and 90mm lenses set up and ready, and might switch lenses between two bodies because it's faster than a film change. That's not a time when you want to have to remember which shutter speed dial moves which way. If the light changes I want to be able to turn all the SS dials so many clicks in the SAME direction. Readings are by incident meter, usually made ahead of time.

They could put in a custom function to reverse the dial rotation, as my 5D has. The dial itself could have a magnet at its centre, with a metallic inset disk numbered on both sides that the owner could flip over. That way the owner could reverse the direction and back again at a moment's notice in order to be in-line with the prevailing concensus on internet fora at any given moment.