Leica M9 / possible electronic issue

ray .

While selectively deleting images from the card in my M9, the camera's screen suddenly froze, so that I couldn't delete

the image onscreen or advance or go back to the adjacent image file. I then turned the camera off, and the image

remained on screen indefinitely. Then I popped out the battery and replaced it back, and this seemed to fix the issue.

However, next day now and I am finding that when I turn the camera on and then touch the 'PLAY' button, no image

appears on the screen (even waiting several seconds) until I press PLAY a second time. I tried taking the battery out and put it back again, but this time it doesn't improve anything. The battery is charged, and I don't have a 2nd battery to see if it's a battery issue, but I wouldn't think so. Or could it be?

I've used the camera a fair amount and have not had these issues before.

Just wondering if anyone has had these kind of experiences with the M9 or what your advice might be--- before I call KEH to see what they say about a fix or replacement. I purchased the camera used 3 months ago (in ex condition), so there is time left on their 6 month warranty.

Thanks in advance...

OK, correction:<p>

It does <b>not</b> require two touches of the PLAY button, but does take about 4 seconds after power on for the PLAY button to be responsive. Menu, Set, Info, ISO screens are not affected, so the delay is only for PLAY. I just don't recall this delay being normal, but now I'm wondering.

Yeah I had that thought before going to sleep last night- maybe it's the card. It is. I put the other one I had

used in previously and now the camera responds properly.

While I'm at it though, I read something about a slower card somehow being better for image quality- not

sure what the context was and it may have even been in a discussion about a different camera. Anyone

know if there's something to that?

Anyway, thanks guys...

<p>Make sure you have the latest firmware edition installed. There some issues with memory cards and lost images resolved in this version.</p>

<p>Are you deleting images in the camera? That's not the best practice. Save the contents to an hard drive and reformat the card. That restores it to a baseline condition and eliminates fragmentation for the best response time.</p>

<p>Make sure you have the latest firmware edition installed. There some issues with memory cards and lost images resolved in this version.</p>

<p>Are you deleting images in the camera? That's not the best practice. Save the contents to an hard drive and reformat the card. That restores it to a baseline condition and eliminates fragmentation for the best response time.</p>

<p>In any case, the M9 doesn't have the smartest or fastest processor, and limited buffer space. Nor does it have the instant-on capability of a Nikon DSLR. What the M9 is noted for is gorgeous images and a leisurely shooting style. It also has some undocumented features.</p>

<p>For example, if set for bracketed exposures (i.e., HDR production), leave the selector in the single-shot position and one press of the shutter release will automatically take all of the shots in the sequence. (If set to continuous shooting, you need a separate press of the shutter release for each of the bracketed shots.) ISO is locked in per the first or "normal" exposure, so the shutter speed can get very long. Be sure to count the shots.</p>

The camera has to read the directory of the card; it sounds like yours might have become fragmented or damaged. If the

problem went away by changing the card- then the problem is not the camera.

I've had card issues ranging from complete failure to one that had a "plastic handnail" over one of the leads. That one drove

me nuts, as it would change behavior on reinserting. Then figured it out.

Yes- all write speeds. Beyond 6x- diminishing returns for the M9. My "rationale" for slower speed cards, everything runs at

a uniform rate, not a lot of bursting going on. Fast cards often use internal buffers and other tricks for a speed-up, also tend

to produce more RF noise.

You should do some of your own tests with different cards, difference most noticed at high ISO.