Leica M9 later this year

<p>I was speaking to the owner of probably the largest Leica retailer in Australia today, about the options of the D-Lux 4 or the G1 with M adaptor. He asked me to consider the M9 to which I replied that it didn't exist. His reply was:<br>

"well I have a release date, and it is later this year" <br>

"Really?"<br>

"yes"<br>

"Is it full frame"<br>

"Yes it is. I was hoping it would come in around $12 000, but it will likely be closer to $15 000!".<br>

"Too much. How much is the D-Lux 4............."<br>

I cannot find any reference to this anywhere, but this guy is a straight shooter and I have bought a bit of Leica gear from him. I take what he told me at face value. </p>

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>.... but their lag bringing the S2 on the market seems not to bode well for an on shelf camera this year....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Could you expand on this further? There has been no "lag" in the S2 program from the schedule announced by Leica at photokina. They have multiple pre-production units in the hands of professionals and are gathering comments from users for the final product "tweaking" prior to full production. Leica has said fall of 2009 for the S2 - I would expect that to mean sometime in November.</p>

<p>Oh yea? Well, this one time in band camp the drum instructor said one day there would be a M11, price point at around $12,211.00 USD and it would most likely be released in the future. I'm tellin' ya, he told me, he's one of the camps biggest Leica users!!!</p>

<p>Come on already, who cares, enough of this.</p>

<p>Full frame M Leica is definitely newsworthy, given today there are Zeiss, Voigtländer, Leica M mount lenses available in a great variety. If it is technically feasible, it would probably make me invest in the M system. However, obviously the price can't be real.</p>

<p>Nikon and Canon want to make money selling Nikkors and EF lenses, absolutely the last thing they want is to make bodies for a high end competitor's lenses. Besides, the microlenses, AA filter, as well as image processing would have to be redesigned to work with rangefinder lenses. And focusing would be practically impossible (no, zooming the image in an LCD is not acceptable for hand-held operation).</p>

<p>"I was speaking to the owner of probably the largest Leica retailer in Australia today, ... He asked me to consider the M9 to which I replied that it didn't exist. His reply was: 'well I have a release date, and it is later this year' ... I cannot find any reference to this anywhere ..." </p>

<p>You can't verify his story, because it isn't true. We are at least two years away from a FF digital M camera from Leica. In the mean time, Leica is hanging its hopes on the S2 and the yet-to-be released R10.</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>i didn't say that i could verify it and i won't try, but i don't see that he had any reason to lie to me. i rang him to buy something now (albeit not an M8). He had nothing to gain, but he just seemed excited to tell me about it, as though he had just found out himself. I'm not interested in started a silly rumour, just thought i'd share what i had been told. <br>

FWIW, his estimated price is about 150% of current retail here in Australia.</p>