Leica M8 Dealer Information

uk

I called a UK Leica Dealer yesterday to put my name on his mailing list for M8 specifications and launch

information. His response was interesting and may contain information new to you. Forgive me if you

know this and more.

The Dealer is way past the point of collecting names for an information mailing list, he is busy taking

orders. A 10% deposit of the assumed list price of ᆪ3,500, (converting into $6,480) !! Leica's US prices

seem to me to correlate directly to UK prices, unlike Canon & Nikon who sell at lower prices in the US

on many lines.

The only new lens design is a 17mm, f2.8, to provde a suitable wide angle with the cropping of the

21mm. All other lenses perform exceptionally well with the M8.

Launch is on tartget for September with first availability planned for October 2006. He mad eit clear

that availability could move as Leica will not release a product with know problem issues.

Pressure on supply will be enormous in comparison to production capacity and only 20% of his first

order is expected in first 12 months. If a buyer doesn't pre-order, he might not get one this side of

I've no idea how much of this is solid information, but the dealer is an important cog in the Leica

network and he stuck to the facts as he knew them.

$6,840 might cause a the sale of a few complete DSLR outfits for funding. It leaves the latest Leica as

an exclusive product, a place it's always been.

Something to chew on ??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it will be very disappointing if Leica will change the rumoured price of 5000$ in the USA, but

I cannot say that it is absolutely unexpected. Leica tends to price their products just above

what one was willing to pay after deciding it is worth donating a kidney to buy a new product

; >) 6500$ leaves a lot of space for R-D2 and Zeiss or anybody else to compete on the

market. VC will certainly make a lot of profit from a decently priced 17mm lens. I was already

planning to place a deposit for the M8 but at 6500, if verified, I will keep on using my R-D1

and my 5D (with my M7) for a little longer. I hope the M8 will not be delayed as the M7 was.

If it is true that the production will take that long to fill out orders, it should mean that used prices should stay high.

If there are people on a waiting list, they would be willing to pay near new prices for a used camera.

If the production is that slow, it looks like if you can get one early on it would be close to riskless to get one. Assuming the camera actually works.

<i>If there are people on a waiting list, they would be willing to pay near new prices for a used camera.</i>

<br><br>

Or <b>more</b> than new price. I must make my mea culpa and admit I payed a used DMR 10% over new last year to get it in July rather than November. I do not regret because I have been using it instead of waiting 5 months. The man who sold it to me had ordered two at different dealers to be on the safe side and could make a nice windfall profit.

Given that by the time it comes out there will be 2 10MP CCD chip DSLR's on the market, the Nikon D200 and the Sony Alpha, that the Alpha will have Zeiss primes available (not that it matters any), and that each body with a good lens or 2 would cost less than a 50/1.4 ASPH, I feel safe in saying that unless you have a sugar daddy, you'd have to be a complete wanker to get an M8.

"John Graham , jun 08, 2006; 09:08 a.m.

Does the price of the M8 at your unnamed UK dealer include VAT?"

Yes, VAT at 17.5%.

Price compares favourably with a Canon 1Ds Mk II, I suppose. :-)

Has to be GBP 3,500 to make it out of my reach. I'd be there at GBP 2,700 as I don't want

the bulk of a DSLR, but the extra is a doughnut too many.

I believe the 3,500 English pounds quoted by the first poster includes VAT; the basic price,

less VAT, should be a bit less than 3,000 pounds, which would translate to about $5,000 US,

just where Leica has said it would be. Tony Rose, a West Coast US dealer, has confirmed the

US $5000 price in the last week or two.

JC

If Leica prices this item correctly -- at no more then the high end of most people's comfort zone -- then they will probably sell many, many, many of them, despite advances in digital technology and back orders, because of the intense brand loyalty Leica enjoys, as well as the ability to use Leica's great optics on a digital camera. I believe there are many M users just waiting to go digital, and this M8 will be the vehicle for them to do so.

If the pricing is as you say your dealer suggested then Leica have pitched the price about right. Serious buyers will pay that and to have an order bank stretching over 12 months gives them efficiences. I don't think they will lose any serious customers. Sounds to me as if Leica have got the marketing dead right. I do hope so. Certainly there have been more optomistic sounds from those that know and the owners are trying to mop up all the available stock.

As there are many London and Manhattan orthodontists and bankers around, I have no doubt that lots of "serious" buyers will snap up all that Leica can make. Here's another prediction: the good photos/$ ratio for the M8 will be the lowest of any camera ever made.