leica m6ttl meter working good in Pakistan

So last night I found a white eraser, Stadtler (made in Germany)

Sherry told me that it is harder than a pencil eraser, anyways I also

found some lithium batteries as well and cleaned everything last

night. I shot a couple of rolls today and had no problems, so, so far

so good. As of Paris Match, my work appears in the new issue, but to

be honest I have not even seen it yet, I received an email from a

friend of mine who saw my photos on Gamma's website last week (they

change it every week) and he told me that my best photo was cropped

(in Paris Match), which sucks but whatever. I will be posting some of

my work up, hopefully on this site and on my own website ( when it

gets finished, and when I get back in the states). The only thing I

can say is to try and locate an issue of Paris Match, I was at the

Doctors Without Borders office today hoping they would have one, but

they didn't, but they did have some other French magazines...Anyways,

I have more important things to be worrying about here, I have been

in some sketchy situations like land slides (it's raining), islamic

militants, trying to stay warm,healthy and dry, and just seeing the

destruction that is all around is taking its toll on me, not to

mention the fact that I was in a bomb blast 2 weeks ago. My spirits

are up though because my camera is working and I will be meeting with

Gamma in Paris in a month, so I am under pressure to produce some

good work...alright I am outta here, oh, and on getting a second

body, defintely...and thanks again, Michael Bialecki (no pen name)

One man standing tall amongst the chaos, with his single Leica in one hand and his

pleasingly Germanic white eraser in the other. Maybe you can share with us how you're

getting your images out of the rubble, landslides, and bomb sites. Processing on the spot,

scanning, and uploading via satphone? FedEx? Or are you using a rare prototype digiM?

Enquiring minds would like to know, otherwise they could be forgiven for imagining that

you're photojournalism's answer to Frank Granowski........

Ha! Perhaps the negatives are transported to Paris via the Batmobile? Holey disfunctional Leica Shutters Batman!

In all seriousness, being in such a place at such an important time could make your career. Having even just a few really good, memorable photos could open doors for you well into the future. Some big things going down in Pakistan these days...things that could be remembered decades from now.

Cheers, and go easy on the Goat Korma.

Right. I'm a career PJ on assignment and I'm going to go into a combat zone with ONE M and ONE set of batteries.

Two double-page spreads in Paris Match. Worth checking out at the local bookshop. But Michael, no one can find any samples of your work. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if your next post had your film eaten by a goat because you forgot to shut your Domke bag.

Too bad that Paris Match cropped your best shot - what a drag...<p>

Maybe you could post a couple of images here using the same system you are using to wire them for publication, just a couple of even your lesser shots would, I am sure be interesting. <p>BTW, watch you don't get your only camera wet. I understand that Ms aren't too well sealed.<p>

Cheers, A

I predict that within 6 months, trial memberships will either be suspended or drastically shortened. This will be unfortunate for the many serious members who contribute in a huge way, but it is the logical evolution of the troll issue. Honestly, if someone can afford a Leica and film, they can afford a subscription. I don't think serious contributors will mind. As it stands, we're starting to see more troll traffic than legitimate traffic on this site.

of all the ungracious people here.

i just logged onto the gamma web site (which is my agency as well) -- you need a

username and password to get in -- and i see a whole bunch of michael's photos

from india, B+W, and some very strong work indeed.

before accusing people of not being who they say they are, do some reseach!

BTW, GAMMA is NOT Getty.

regarding transmitting, it is perfectly feasible to bring on the road a developing kit

with chemistry, a lightweight film scanner (i use the canon fs2720U) and a BGAN or

thuraya satphone. i did this for my B+W film through the presidential campaign last

year in florida and massachusetts, no thuraya in the USA but there are starbucks hi-

speed wireless everywhere, and in the days before digital, that's what EVERYBODY did.

and the satphones were big and heavy, the Immarsat M and then Mini-M, nasty C-41

tetanal powders, and 28 minutes to send a 300k photo. But it worked. These days the

BGAN will transmit a 1 MB photo in a minute or two. Or you can take apart old phone

lines and clip your modem in; even on scratchy third world telephone lines you can

usually find cheap local internet (often with prepaid cards) and file your photos at

approx. 5-6 minutes per 500k image.

And, remember, countries like India or Pakistan have DHL or Fedex in the big cities,

Even Baghdad has them. You can ship your film and it'll be in Paris or NY in 2 or 3

days.

So instead of throwing stones at people, think about how things can be done. Not

every photojournalistic picture is made digitally. For Black and white, for panoramic,

for medium or large format, you still want to shoot film and there will always be a way

to get it out if you are creative and figure out how to do it.

It's really a pity that because of a (very) few (very) stupid individuals we start to suspect everybody. I feel sad about it in photo.net and sad about it in the real world as well, but that's life.

I think displaying the originating IP address with each post (at least for non members?) will help do a first level filtering. That's the info you usually have on the internet anyway when corresponding with people (email or usenet).

also Sherry Krauter did mention Mr. Bialecki and his Leica's misfortunes, when I

picked up a camera from her a couple of weeks ago.

why would anybody pretend to be a photographer in India with a broken camera?

obviously Mr. Bialecki is who he says he is. what i don't understand is the extent of

doubt and accusation here. is that warranted?