Leica M6 vs MP

I think this question must be answered by yourself, because I think it is a preferance that is at stake. I hve both M6TTL and MP. MP has a better RF, but M6 film rewind is more useful than MP, If you are economically willing, get MP in M& body on a le carte. Both cameras are really super camera's.

I think it depends on why you want the camera. Will it be your only M camera, or a back-up

to another one? I had a similar dilemma a few days ago when I was looking for a mechanical

back-up to my M7. I thought I wanted an MP, but after playing with one for a while decided it

was not suffficiently diffferent from the M6 to warrant the price difference. I left the store

with a recent M6 TTL -- all the functional features of an MP, plus TTL flash sync -- but

without the cosmetic touches. I saved about $2000 - which in my mind wasn't enough to

justify the brass top plate or different rewind knob. YMMV.

Even if cost is a factor, the MP is the best choice. The viewfinder upgrade for the M-6 only replaces the plastic rangefinder windows for about $300 and does not have the internal upgrades. The MP has a smoother film advance. The MP meter is more sensitive and easier to read. Over the years the M6 viewfinder may develop a slight haze which means a CLA. Why take a risk. Make a tradeoff by buying a Rokkor 40mm for $300 - 400 vs a 35mm cron for $700 - 1100. You can always buy more expensive optics later.

My comments above apply if you pick up a MP for 40% less than retail. I heard of a clean not mint MP selling for $1900. The purchase of a discounted MP may result in avoiding costs for a CLA and finder upgrade on a 20 year old M-6. The MP is final culmination of the mechanical Leica rangefinder line.

Hi, Arthur. I own a silver Leica MP. The finder is definitively better buid in the MP, than M6TTL. The finder of Leica MP is at same quality level of the M3 finder, the best Leica M finder ever. Also the quality building of the body is at same level of the M3. See the Erwin Puts web site, for more and better informations.

Ciao.

"Leica MP is at same quality level of the M3 finder..."

Based on what? There is no comparison between these two finders.

The M3 finder will be larger (.91) when compared to a .85 MP finder and slightly dimmer (most will have a very slight yellow tint). The design is completely different when compared to any finder that followed. The MP finder will be slightly brighter when compared to most M3 finders with a moderate blue tint.

The MP finder is the same finder used in the M6 with the flair resistant condenser lens added. Buy an M6, have the finder upgraded, and you will have a finder identical to that in an MP.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Neil, recommending a 40mm vs 3rd or 4th version Cron to free up cash to purchase a discounted MP is the road less traveled. I much prefer the MP vs the M6 for the reasons stated and unstated.

Considering cost vs performance the older Mandler/Cannon/Nikkor glass has a look which works well with B&W film.

is like buying a 911 Porsche on doughnut tires.

The lens selection is vital. There is a great selection of M cameras you can choose from: M4-P, M6, M7, MP.

IMO you need to start w/ the lens..once you have that nailed down tight, then work the camera body angle.

Arthur, are you determined to get EITHER a MP or a M6? No other M? No other Leica? I have owned both cameras, and I can't say the cosmetics of the MP are what get my MOJO running. Nor can I say the TTL of the M6 is going to function better than in its predecessor, the M5.

In my view, for mechanical perfection and beauty obtain a Barnack Leica; very few will deny that they are jewels of precision, obtainable for a fraction of the cost of a MP (that is even including the elmar lens you will likely purchase for it:)). For a M, go for the last Wetzlar built camera; it is slightly bigger than the M6 and, thus, it fits well into manly sized hands:)

But as I remarked at the outset, only consider these thoughts if you aren't determined to go either/or.

I hope you take delight in using whichever camera body you pick, Arthur!

Thomas

I upgrade in 2006 my two M6s TTL for two mint MPs (.72 & .85), and it's a great upgrade, for all reason mentionned above. I do not use flash, so TTL is not a big loss for me. But one thing to keep in mind, if money is an issue, put more money on your lens, and if you still have enough for an MP go for it. When the curtain is open the only things between the film and your subject is the lens you've put on your camera. The rest is optional!

Good luck!

Sylvain