Leica M6 TTL repair bill

<p>Not a question, just a statement. </p>

<p>I have just been charged €928.53 ($1020) by Leica in Germany for repairing the meter and shutter brake on my M6 TTL.</p>

<p>I initially tried to get the meter repaired by a good 3rd party technician but, apparently, the meter fault can only be cured by connecting the camera to one of Leica's computers.</p>

<p>Obviously I would not normally have paid such an amount but the camera has great sentimental value and I will at least know that the camera will be as good as new when I get it back. The camera was otherwise in absolutely mint condition.</p>

<p>Just take this as a warning if any of you ever consider sending a camera to Leica for maintenance!</p>

<p>I have 2 Leica II cameras from a 1938-39 era, according with the serial number, and 3 Nikon S2.<br>

The CLR on the Nikon S2 with a professional Nikon service man, cost me C$150.00, where the one of the Leica, by an old person of Leica expert, (with certification ) slightly over C$ 500.00 Both camera needed only CLR, no repair or any other work. <br>

The Leicas are history of 35mm photography, and copied all over the world on that time. The old Leicas a sentimental value, the new ones, a status symbol. Status symbol and nothing else, and so, you just have to pay for it. In real photography, you can't tell of the print today, it was done, shoot with a Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Leica/Zeiss.<br>

I wear a Kashmir blazer of charcoal-black and I feel good wearing it, but doesn't looks the blazer better then my friend charcoal-black wool blazer, which was a 1/3 of the prize then my Kashmir blazer.<br>

We are still kids even our 70s, and like toys and bragging.</p>

<p>Your meter problem is an understandable reason to have Leica repair your camera, but you probably know that in most cases there are many very good independent technicians (many Leica trained like Gerry Smith or David Yau in the Toronto area.) that can do similar work often at considerably lower cost.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Didn't they send you a cost estimate beforehand?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes.</p>

<p>Arthur, I initially sent the camera to Malcolm Taylor here in the UK. He is regarded as being one of the best in the business over here. He tried everything to identify and correct the problem but eventually concluded that the meter circuit itself needed reprogramming, something that apparently only Leica can do.</p>

<p>Jamie, your note is really a worthwhile caution to those who may wish to send a camera for repair to the manufacturer. They are very responsible it seems while the camera is within the warranty period (at one time in N.A. they even had a no-fault damage, return and repair policy) but their charges after that can be very high. Probably Nikon and others are also very expensive. You at least tried more practical and economic routes before needing their repair, which is what others should also consider.</p>

<p>My experience is limited, but while electronics have facilitated some camera functions in post 1970 cameras they seem to be expensive to repair when they go wrong. My Leicas have luckily been fairly durable to date, but a Mamiya 6 lens ceased to work on a trip to England a few years ago and necessitated expensive replacement of an electric circuit that governed its in-lens shutter. A small Rollei 35 TE lost its meter after a few years from purchase and was found to be unrepairable at moderate cost, although that may have been be more due to the the difficult to access interior of the camera than electronics. </p>

<p>Enjoy your fine condition M6. A great camera.<br>

</p>

<p>Here's what Leica told me the camera needed to correct the faulty meter and shutter brake. I can't see what the rangefinder has to do with it.:<br>

<br>

<em>Clean and relubr. shutter adjust shutter brake replace light sealing clean/adjust micro switch adjustment of shutter times adjust exposure meter adjust autocollimation adjust friction </em><br>

<em>adjust range finder clean range finder</em></p>

<p><em>adjustment of all parts</em></p>

<p><em>cleaning and end control </em><br>

<em>Necessary materials </em><br>

<em>leather covering</em></p>

<p>Yes the money there is significant, but I concur that in the case of a Leica M6 TTL, and the sentimental element, its money well spent and now you have your camera back in full working order which brings a sense of confidence and outlook to the Photographic experience akin to getting a new camera. Kind of expensive, but kind of not.</p>

• 2 weeks later...