Leica M6 advance stuck

blake_andrews

I'm having a problem with my M6 and am curious if anyone else has encountered something similar. I've

had the camera a while and shot hundreds of rolls with no problems. But last week the camera stopped

advancing midroll. The advance lever feels as if it is pulling against tension as if it's at the end of the roll,

but instead it's in the middle. I can rewind the film (with tension initially) and have wasted several rolls

experimenting with the advance and rewind, with similar results. The film always gets stuck mid-roll. I've

taken the baseplate off midroll and it seems to be loaded and spooling properly, and before this latest

problem I ran many rolls through the camera with no issue. Before I send it off for repair, does anyone

have any experience with this problem?

It's the washers under the rewind knob coming loose as the film is wound. Usually they would unscrew enough to jam the knob by the time you reached frame 10-12. Rewinding would screw them back in enough to let you get another 10-12 frames on the next roll.

There is a link from the Leica FAQ site to a webpage by Kyle Cassidy on how to fix this problem but the link doesn't work now. As I recall the rewind knob has to be removed and then the washers underneath have to be tightened.

'Never heard of an M4 with that problem. Only M4-2, M4-P and forward thru M6. I don't

think MP or M7 have that problem, but I could be wrong. I sent my M6 in for repair when it

happened, almost 20 years ago, and it never happened again. Good luck. (BTW, the 20

rewind cranks for temporary cure is genius. I wish I knew of that then....thanks).