leica M6 - 0.72 or 0.85?

<p>i'm about to look for an M6 on ebay, but i saw there are two types of viewfinders: the 0.72 and the 0.85. the latter one seems of course more confortable to use, but apparently it doesn't work well with certain lenses such as the 28mm...am a bit confused now...<br>

could anyone familiar with this issue make some comment or give some advice? would be most appreciated... thanks</p>

<p>I depends on several factors, as I'm sure you have noted in reading past postings on the subject. I personally preferred the 0.85 (I've had both) on the M6, but a lot of people prefer the 0.72. Focal lengths I most often use on my M cameras are 35 and 90mm, and I do wear progressive lens glasses. I'm presently using only my old M4 with a 0.72 and am perfectly comfortable with that as well.</p>

<p>It depends what lenses that you are using. For 0.85, the widest lens that can be used is 35mm. Even so, if you wear eye glasses, you will not be able to see the full frame through the view finder. 0.85 is best for 50mm lens by my opinion. </p>

<p>Agree with what's been said already</p>

<p>I have the 0.85 and got that version over the 0.72 simply because I shoot a lot of fast lenses in the 50 to 90mm range. Having said that though, 35mm is perfectly usable on the 0.85, but the framelines can be difficult to see, even without glasses! What I tend to do is just use the entire viewfinder as the 35mm frameline, which works for me.</p>

<p>Another thing to bear in mind is that some people prefer using 35mm on the 0.72 because they say it allows them to 'see outside the frame' and thus compose their pictures accordingly.</p>

<p>Bottom line is though, it all depends on what sort of lenses you plan on using.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have an M3, M6 0.85 and two M7's, both 0.85.<br>

The only 'problem' the 28mm and wider lenses have with the 0.85 is that there is no frameline, but with 0.72 or 0.58, you can only get 28mm frameline additional anyway. So for 28mm, you require an external finder.<br>

I use the 35mm about 80% with the 0.85 and it presents no problem. You just look thourgh the finder and shoot. I also have a 21mm and use an external finder whose usage depends on the M. with M6, you must look through the normal viewfinder for exposure and move to the external for composition. With the M7 on AUTO, just use the external finder(usually the 21m has enough DOF, that zone focus is OK).<br>

I would try both and make up your own mind as you will find any number of opinions, some valid and some not so valid.-Dick</p>

<p>Previous respondant explained it well. If you have any intentions of expanding your lens selection then the M6 with the 0.72 will serve you best. Many street photographers prefer the 28mm while the 90mms are excellent portrait lenses and the 135mm is a real bargain both optically and pricewise. </p>

<p>I personally love the .72 with a 35mm lens because it gives you the ability to see outside the brightlines and helps with composition as you can immediately see opportunities outside your given frame and what's coming into your frame. I'd assume that with an .85 the brightlines for the 35mm would be right up against the edges of the viewfinder. I think having that space around the camera opens up additional framing opportunities and for me that's one of the things that makes the .72 viewfinder and the 35mm lens just a great combo for the M6. </p>

<p>If you are shooting a static scene, then the 0.72 finder may be of use to some as previously explained but if your shooting action and/or people moving then it really doesn't matter as the eye/brain focus's is on the subject and determination of the right moment to press the shutter button. The 0.85 finder encompasses exactly what i will get with a 35mm lens, so I concentrate on the action and moment and the framing is really a secondary consdieration that my brain takes care of very well rather than trying to find the exact composition and lose the right moment.-Dick</p>