Leica M5: Merits and Demerits

Alex_Es

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Meter sensitivity, I believe,comparable to SL2 -- which is to say terrific! Alex, I've had several of these through the years: takes about 30 seconds to get comfortable. Really a great camera. Sherry Krauter always loved it. Takes later model of 21mm 1:3.4 to clear meter. Grab it. Paul</p>

<p>Demerits: size and weight and its brutalist design and its loading which I have never mastered<br>

Merits:<br>

its size: a nice amount of space for the left hand in which I carry this camera<br>

its weight: I hand hold 1/2 and 1/4 better with this than my other Ms<br>

its brutalist lines: I am in love with the look of the M5, especially my chrome version<br>

the meter: match needle. Very accurate, more spot meter like than the M6<br>

the frame lines: Love the 50. A big 50 is so good on this camera. And the 35 seems easier than on my M2 with my glasses on.<br>

rewind: ratcheted, easy torque - like an OM in that regard.<br>

shutter speed dial: accessible with the index finger while looking through the finder<br>

the vertical hanging: stable, unobtrusive, and leaves the right hand free of impediments. Definitely prefer the two lug model.<br>

A great, great camera. Build quality similar to my M2.<br>

The most developed film Leica so far.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The downsides are that the meter has moving parts and moving contacts, and that the CdS cell is also known for failing. These combine for reliability issues. Also, the mercury battery is an issue, especially now that it's getting difficult to impossible to get silver-oxide batteries in the "625" shape.<br>

The silicon blue cells used in the M6 and later allow for a much more elegant metering design. They are so much more sensitive, freeing up the design a great deal.</p>

<p>My advice is going to be rather superficial (although for me definite), as I admit to having never used the camera (only the little and less well built Leica CL). The finite reaction time of the meter to changing light and especially the size and weight have been the significant (for me) barriers in my case, but these may not be for you. If you don't mind the bulk and slower operation, then I would go for it as it is certainly a competent instrument in many ways. It's not for nothing, though, that Leica dropped the M5 production after a short period and almost never produced another M camera after that (until Leitz Midland convinced Leitz Wetzlar to continue on). </p>

<p>I had one for a few years, but because of the size preferred my M3 and M4. It just felt ungainly! I have since discovered that ifit's used with a hand grip it's absolutely wonderful, with the perfect balance that Leicas have always had.<br>

If you get one which hasn't had a recent service, prepare to have a meter repair sometime in the near future (DAG does great work).</p>

<p>I've never understood the hate many had for the M5. I like it and think it the nicest handling of the lot. I'd agree the meter may be its weak point as of now. You should anticipate maybe having to replace it, but when you do it will work very well for 20+ years. Yes the M6 has a more elegant meter, but M5 does just fine. Love the build quality, size, film loading, and viewfinder. I often think it is the M for those who come to r/f photography from an SLR.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I have inherited an M5 and an M6 and admit that I haven't used them all that much - in terms of handling I prefer the larger 90/2 on the M5 and the smaller 35/2 ASPH on the M6. I vastly prefer the meter needle in the M5 over the LED in the M6 and the shutter speed dial on the M5 is just about perfect. Speed of operation isn't an issue for me. In the M5 I use Wein cells and since I am still struggling with figuring out the metering characteristics of each body, I haven't found a reason to doubt the calibration. Since I wear glasses, neither viewfinder ocular is good for me - and the M5 in addition is bare metal!</p>

<p>I am glad I never had to decide which Leica M to purchase - the negativity out there against the M5 would probably have prejudiced me against it - missing the best camera Leica ever produced.<br /> <br /><br /></p>

<p>Recently, two Leica M5 bodies have made their way into my hands within a week. This has to be kismet. I've never owned a Leica M5, or even held one in my hands before. Having recently sold my extensive Leica collection which literally freed up a room in my condominium, I have experienced a feeling of grief every time I pass by that former repository for a lifetime of collecting all things Leica. Perhaps the higher powers that be are having pity on me by arranging these two lovely examples of the Leica M5 to enter into my life. I won't bore you with the really mundane details, but both M5 bodies were products of estate sales and made their way to me circuitously through, one a friend, and the other a complete stranger. And, inexpensively, too.</p>

<p>Fortunately, I still have an extensive Leica library, and so I sat down and read all that I could find regarding the Leica M5. My conclusion after reading all this material is that the camera has a rather extraordinary history. I furthered my research by consulting the Internet and found this <a href="0050Lr">informative article right here on photo.net.</a></p>

<p>Of course, no research would be complete without consulting Sherry Krauter on the subject, as it is widely known that she is a fan of the Leica M5. My wife and I spoke with Sherry for over an hour on Sunday. According to Sherry, Leica never made a camera as fine as the M5 before and certainly never after, including the MP, which she will not discuss, I suppose, in order to maintain the good relationship she has with Leica. She says the design, quality of materials, and workmanship performed by the most experienced factory trained individuals of any camera builders in the industry, was simply unsurpassed. All parts were hand fitted and adjusted by technicians with at least 20 years of experience, until tolerances and performance were absolutely perfect. According to Sherry, the Leica M5 was the last camera assembled this way in Wetzlar, or anywhere on earth.</p>

<p>So, my two new Leica M5s, one black chrome and one silver chrome will be on their way to Golden Touch by the end of the day where Sherry will breath new life into them.</p>

<p>A tip from Sherry Krauter. If you are thinking of buying a Leica M5, find a serial number starting with 134 or higher. </p>

<p>Just now, as I am packing the Leica M5s to send off to Sherry Krauter, I notice the top plate is elegantly engraved with, "Leitz Wetzler Germany". If I'm not mistaken, you have to pay several hundred dollars extra to have this engraved on the top plate of a new Leica. Otherwise, you get a blank top plate. The Leica M5 standard production camera was the very last to offer this engraving. The a la carte cameras of today should be engraved Leica Solms Germany. Maybe they are.</p>

I love the size. If you like women you want to have more woman to love. It's the same with Leicas. I also find the size is

not only perfect for my ZM C Sonnar, but holding the camera level and perfectly parallel to the face of a building with my

ZM 21 and 25 is much easier with the M5 than those dainty little Ms. Hanging the C Sonnar off the M2 looks too much,

and the camera tips forward too easily when set on a table. Young women always notice my cameras, with me very long

since unworthy of note, and they particularly love the brutalist M5. It is the most advanced M. Already skiing off piste in

2012 using a rangefinder I feel like Kubrick experimenting with a rare and specially engineered masterpiece beyond the

capability of a mere consumer item. Alex, don't miss out on this marvelous experience.

<p>And, I even take better pictures with the M5 I reckon. I am now using an M9 most of the time. It's also bigger than the M2. My best shots in the last 5 years were taken with the M5. I think changing Ms every now and then gives a new perspective that I enjoy. I only have film in the M2 at the moment. I won't be getting rid of any of these cameras, and especially not this M5.</p>

<p>I hate to have to disagree with one of my fellow technicians, but I found the M5 units to be the Leica M that requires the most parts during a service. Many of these most common failing parts are plastic in nature:</p>

<ol>

<li>90% of the upper "strap lug patches" are destroyed in order to pull the top plate.</li>

<li>The preview and self-timer levers have "decorative inserts" that pop out.</li>

<li>The hot shoe "insulator" becomes brittle and can crack.</li>

<li>The hot shoe "plastic bevel bar" pops off.</li>

<li>The adhesive "foam dust ring" under the speed dial decays.</li>

<li>The "rubber pad" dust seal around the hot shoe decays.</li>

<li>"Battery chamber" replacement common due to previously leaked battery.</li>

<li>VF meter scale "mirror" releases from it's adhesive hold.</li>

<li>As with early M and LTM units, "vulcanite" body covering failure is common.</li>

</ol>

<blockquote>

<p>"Build quality similar to my M2" <em><strong>Richard G.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMHO, that's just not so.<br /> The curtain materials, the shutter / transport gearing, and the rangefinder elements, <strong>aren't in any way</strong> better than earlier or later M bodies... Sorry</p>

<p>Gus, when you say "the shutter / transport gearing, and the rangefinder elements, <strong>aren't in any way</strong> better than earlier or later M bodies," are you saying that they are in any way worse?</p>

<p>The M5 had the original M finder -- that is, with the condenser -- not the later, "simplified" finder of the M6 (Leitz code VUFUC), which must be "downgraded" at extra expense to make it fully usable.</p>

<p>When I decided to sell my M3 and get an M with a meter, I considered the M5 and the M6. The M6 won only because at the time I had a 75mm lens, for which the M5 does not have a V/F frame. I later found the 75mm frame of the M6 difficult to use, because the 50mm frame appears together with it, so I sold the 75mm lens and bought a 90mm Elmarit. I am content with the M6 -- but I think I would have been <strong>happy</strong> with an M5.</p>

<p>Points taken, thanks Gus. I noticed the leatherette in the middle of the ISO selector has fallen off since I last used mine. There are these little fiddly bits to the finish of the M5. Doesn't change my view of its usability.</p>

<p>Well Gus, that was a dull pin which failed to pop my balloon. Considering first production of the Leica M5 was over 40 years ago, I would expect to have to replace certain plastic or rubber parts during maintenance, just as I would during the maintenance and restoration of an old Mercedes-Benz.</p>

<p>As far as #7, Sherry did mention that a lot of M5 battery chambers have been ruined by leaving a WeinCell battery in the chamber for more than its useful life of about three months. Which is why she recommends re-calabration of the M5 meter for the use of more common, longer lasting, and user friendly batteries.</p>

<p>#8 may have had something to do picking the right serial number, (above 134xxxx), but again, glue failing after 40 years is no shock to me.</p>

<p>I am not in the least dissuaded. Whatever it takes to restore these two fantastic M5 bodies I sent to Sherry today, I will approve. For me, this is an inexpensive form of therapy.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Sherry did mention that a lot of M5 battery chambers have been ruined by leaving a WeinCell battery in the chamber for more than its useful life of about three months."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's interesting because I have experienced leakage with zinc air hearing aid batteries (the Wein cell replacements for mercury cells are zinc air batteries with metal collars). Those batteries need to be watched carefully because they will leak quickly after being exhausted. But so far I haven't noticed any corrosion comparable to leakage from alkaline or mercury batteries.</p>