Leica M3 frame counter fix DIY help

<p>Hello All,<br>

I have a film counter on a Leica M3 that's not working. Has anyone ever tried fixing something like this? I know who to send it to if I can't figure it out (i.e. Don). The film counter is screwed down but does not rotate whether the film spool is in or out of the camera or when the lever arm is advanced. Any ideas? If not, I just live with it. Thanks</p>

<p>The counter is a very elegant and robust mechanism.<br>

First, pull out the film spool, and it should reset. Look up the chamber, and see if the lever arm is free. Maybe a film chip is blocking its movement. If the lever is blocked, even removing the spool won't allow the counter to reset.<br>

I don't know what you mean by "the counter is screwed down", did you have the top off? If so, you should then be able to see the lever, and the counter mechanism, and how it works. If you have the top off, you'll see two activation pawls, held by two flat springs. Both flat springs need to be engaged for the counter to work, and this is very very important. If the springs aren't engaged, and the pawls are free, you risk damaging the counter if you advance the film.<br>

It is easy to service.<br>

Any of these techs should be able to help:<br>

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/007e.shtml</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Vick</p>

• 3 years later...

Hey, fellas.

Did you ever figure this dilemma out? I seem to be having the same problem. My m3 has functioned fine for years and

just this morning I unloaded a roll and attempted to load up a new one when I noticed that my film counter wasn't resetting

when I disengaged the take-up spool. The film advance lever would still advance, and it continued to all the way to #41.

Now it won't budge (which I don't believe is an issue because of the counter problem) and the counter still won't reset.

Any thoughts? If I do have to take off the top of the camera to get a look inside how would I go about this?

Thanks,

Elias.