Leica M2 Viewfinder Completely Black

steve g

My friend just picked up a Leica M2 in need of some serious viewfinder repair.

Basically, the viewfinder is completely black. However, the bright lines still show, as

does the rangefinder patch.

Any ideas what could be broken and how much this type of repair this tends to run?

John...based on what I have read the M3 finder is much more complicated that the M2 and the repair job is quite a bit more complicated and costs more. I don't know about giving out prices on the forum but I'll be glad to let anybody know privately. ywdprice at yahoo dot com

AFAIK Sherry K was not doing this repair unless she's started recently. She and Leica would only replace the entire rangefinder with one from an M4-P for around $600 in parts, plus labor. Don Goldberg will recement the prism for around $250. How much does Essex charge? My M3 shows signs of decementing which is another reason I only use it occasionally and not for serious shooting. I'm amazed at the number of people who continue to recommend people buy M2/M3 and claim the decementing is a myth. Basically what the repair guys say, it's a crapshoot. Sometimes a slight knock can separate the prism, others could take a real hit and come away fine. If I just used the camera for around the neighborhood goofing around I'd be ok with an M2, but because most of my photography is travelling, I prefer something without that possibility looming.