Leica M2 (1963) with 50mm f2 Summicron lens

bambootom

Hello, I inherited this camera and just had it refurbished ("to Leica factory tolerance") by Sherry Krauter. As far as I can tell it's in perfect working condition, and very good cosmetic condition.

I'd like to sell it -- what is a fair price for this camera? I looked through ebay auctions and a few other classified sites, but there are so many collector items and cameras in different conditions that I'm having a hard time comparing...

Thank you,

tom

img_0228_195556.thumb.jpg.2dafe9af72f5770a0d1ae86ef93d5dc6.jpg

img_0228_195620.thumb.jpg.cc032cf31df84f532b026db92b14ad2b.jpg

img_0228_195658.thumb.jpg.c1f2673ec29011dad938582a94fca243.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Nick, sorry for the delay in responding. I was traveling and just got home a few days ago. Glad to hear you might be interested in the camera.

I looked at a bunch of ebay auctions, and the prices range quite a bit depending on the condition of the camera. Body-only auctions from 500 to 1200, completes from 1500 to 2000+.

I just spent $700 on a complete overhaul of the body and the lens, so the camera is in excellent operating condition. I shot a roll of film to test it out, all works great. A camera of that age has some cosmetic scratches on the body, but nothing big, so I'd consider it in good condition. I find it hard to rate 8/10 or A- or whatever people do, but of course I'll take detailed photos so that you can judge for yourself.

This one seems to be closest to what I have, and price seems representative:

Leica M2-R 35mm Rangefinder Film Camera with Summicron 1:2 50mm lens | eBay

With all that in mind, I think $1800 is a fair price. I'd ship priority USPS, fully insured, payment includes shipping and paypal fees (so that we're both "insured").

Let me know what you think, thank you,

tom.

and very good cosmetic condition.

Not sure how you can say this when there is a ginormous dent on the top corner and another on the other corner. I don't think you do yourself any favors by saying something like this. I am pointing this out because when you say something like this, people are going to question the value of the rest of your statements about the camera.

Robin Smith

Robin, you are absolutely right, thanks for correcting me.

My eye is drawn towards the function and I'm not good on the aesthetics :) I'll ask my wife to find the flaws and point them out, along with photos, to any prospective buyer. That said, I believe those dents are the bulk of it.

tom.

• 2 weeks later...