Leica M10-D announced

michael_levy3

Leica M10-D // Leica M-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

Leica as announced the M10-D - no display back. Most unusual though, is that the camera has a film wind lever:

leica.png.09a3df198b160ea97a58e80ea152791c.png

which, of course, Leica calls something else: a fold-out thumb rest.

I am a fan of minimalism, so, in general, I like the idea of the most simple digital M possible, but the fold-out seems like a strange design choice to me.

That’s weird. Definitely a digital according to the email I got as an M10 owner. It is indeed a “fold out thumb rest” as described in the email. I don’t like to dip into the menus too much, but I’m not sure I want to deny myself any control at all. I suppose you could use the Leica App to configure the camera in some way? I’m not THAT much of a traditionalist.

Perhaps the thumb lever is used to wind the shutter. To me, that makes a lot of sense. It would save battery power, and more important, allow you to wind discretely at a more opportune moment. I use the "quiet" option on an M9 for that reason. It delays winding until you take your finger from the release button.
  • Like 1

Perhaps the thumb lever is used to wind the shutter. To me, that makes a lot of sense. It would save battery power, and more important, allow you to wind discretely at a more opportune moment. ...

Nope - it's a thumb rest! It's in the description on Leica's website.

And it's the same price as the M10-P?!

If you really don't want to look at your screen, try slipping a standard M Luigi case over your M10/M10-P!!

Edited by Bill Blackwell Images

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Billblackwellphotography, I have one of luigi's leather covers for my m. Fine work he does. My only gripe is that the leather does not clear the live view button. So chronically turns live view on. Mine has the poo pants door at the back. The m10d looks like a strange hybrid. Will be interesting to see how its received. Arthur

I've seen a couple of videos on this camera now. It seems as if it is essentially using a smart phone to make setting changes and to view pictures rather than having its own screen. This worries me on a number of levels. It assumes that you HAVE a cellphone that runs the particular application, and that it and the camera will be kept up to date continually. Otherwise eventually you might be unable to make certain setting changes. If you're truly OK with the default settings or you have access to a cellphone long enough to set it up as you like it and don't want to change or view your pictures on the go (I do) then I guess it might work.

I'm happy with the regular M10 personally. Paying more for this camera would seem an odd choice for me, but Leica may know its market better.

Not if you want the convenience and flexibility of digital combined with going back to the basics in terms of shooting experience. Like the tagline says the point of it is to be able to have and use a "digital body with an analog soul".

The digital Ms already have an analog soul. That's kind of the whole point. How about this tagline -- M10 -- Analog soul with no compromises.

I bought an M10 and like it, but use it to make photos as I have some good Leica glass. When I see products like this, it really makes me wonder if I made the right choice diving all-in to Leica. It's as if there is a race on to see if they can produce the most handicapped digital camera on earth and make it more difficult to actually USE the equipment. I see too much worry about top plate engravings, red plastic dots, and being oh-so-retro without a screen. But....I am apparently not their target market, and I am sure this model will sell like hotcakes. Just not to me.

But....I am apparently not their target market, and I am sure this model will sell like hotcakes. Just not to me.

I don't think Leica see the M10-P as their main digital M product: that remains the M10. Unlike most other camera makers, they are willing to put out small runs of cameras that are very strictly designed to appeal to a specific niche - in this case, people who want the convenience of digital, but love minimalism. I gave up buying Canons exactly because I felt overwhelmed by choice. To me, Leica M simplicity and lack of features was a huge plus. When a friend of mine asked me why I was willing to spend so much money on a camera, I said "I am paying for lack of features."

The many features of my previous Canon SLR did not help me take better photographs, they (for me anyway) were a distraction. That being said, if I was buying today, I would stick with the M10, rather than the M10-P. I can turn the screen review off, but I find it useful. What is really nice about the 10 (when compared with the previous model) is that on actual shoots, I can make all the adjustments I want (iso, f stop, shutter speed, focus) without looking at the screen. I am sure that M10 sales will far exceed M10-P sales.

I suspect that Leica will eventually announce a monochrome M10, and that will be popular, because it effectively quadruples the resolution of the sensor.

• Like 1

There’s nothing to say that a new car has to have a steering wheel. But if you make one that doesn’t have one you are going to need a really good argument. Control sticks have been tried but they didn’t really succeed. And before you say self driving cars I suspect it will be a LONG time before they can drive reliably down a dirt road in a state park that google doesn’t know about.:p

Reimagining is fine but generally the first products tend to be flawed, and that’s with products destined to cut their own path, which doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Before digitals, control layouts were simpler but even they had small LCD screens usually and complicated button combinations. But there was always a way to control the internal function of the camera, even if it is awkward to do so. Here there isn’t without an external device which not everyone has. I think it’s a pretty niche camera, but we’ll see how it sells.

By the way, an example of what you’re talking about was comparing my Minolta 8000i to the 600si. They took literally endless button combos and screen controls and eliminated most of them, relegating the important ones to clearly labelled controls. And it worked! Even if they did that here, I would still want to look at my image. Maybe the EVF would compensate. I don’t have one yet.

• Like 1