Leica KE7A Fair Market Value

I was just reading Jason Schneider's book of Camera Collector columns from Popular Photography, and there were only 40-50 units from the production overrun that were sold on the open market, rather than to the military. Anything that rare is going to be very pricey, to say the least. Probably rare enough to be attractive for forgery, at least the body. (Forging the lens is probably impractical.)

John, there were 500 military KE7A units (camera plus lens plus outfit) sold to the US Army. Many of these saw little use, and they were stored in a warehouse. Sometime in the 1990s, the Army auctioned them off, and a number of complete units were purchased by camera dealers, who promptly sold them to collectors. The number of military units is 500, not 40-50.

What I was saying was that 40-50 units were sold directly to dealers, without ever getting into the military. I made no attempt to estimate how many survived the military. From the latest comment, I guess they took a lot better care of them than all the Topcon Super D's they bought and beat to hell.

Still, I'm sure they didn't all survive, so they are a darned rare camera.

However, a lot of the price has to do with them being Leicas. Topcon lenses of which only 500 were produced don't fetch 5 figures (barely 4 in most cases).