Leica IIIF Take-Up Spool

I suppose you don't have to worry about it being too loose, but that does happen.

The take-up spool on my Mercury II has just a little less friction than it should,

and at the end of the roll, you can keep on winding. I suspect that could happen

with Leica spools. Well, it could happen with just about any 35mm camera, as there

needs to be at least a little slip.

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...

The way these work is that you turn the little knob, and it extends enough to grab onto.

As far as I know, extending the knob is not related to the ability to remove it, but I never tested that.

After you put it in, you push and turn the little knob to latch, so that you can close the bottom.

Unless it is rusty, or otherwise has more friction than usual, it should not be hard to get out.

-- glen

Is it actually a Leitz take-up spool? Both the older SPULM and SPOOM (14022) should not require too much force to fit or remove.

Thought I confess I've had this happen in one of my Leica's before. There might be corrosion, dirt or dust inside the spool and on the spindle as suggested above.

I found that the Zorki spools from cast aluminium do fit, but they are very tight a Leica. They're also a tad too tall.

In my case it required a little help of some needle-nose pliers to get them out.