Leica Finder VIOOH: what is this used for?

<p>I did a search on the subject, went through the search findings, but am unable to find an answer to my question (please see subject line). Will the experts/actual users of this item give the SIMPLE answer, please. This finder is described in a well-known site (Google search), and there are numerous listings on the big auction site (most listings describe the condition as hazy, etc.). From what I can understand, this finder is recommended when using a lens (alone), or lens + shade, and the viewfinder is partially blocked by the size of the lens, or the lens + shade. Is this correct? I would assume that this finder can be used even if there is no blockage. Is this also correct? <br>

Please also give any actual experience with this finder VIOOH. Please add any actual experience with a companion attachment TUVOO for 2.8cm lens to this finder VIOOH. Is it worth buying VIOOH and using it. I assume one would also buy TUVOO if the 2.8cm lens is used.<br>

Please note that there are already threads in this forum about use/handling this finder, making corrections for parallax, different versions (lyre shaped, straight sides) of this finder - even a New York version given the name IMARECT, etc. <br>

Thank you all very much, and best regards.</p>

<p>The IIIf and earlier Leicas had a view-finder which showed the image as seen through a 50mm lens. Lenses of other focal lengths could be mounted -- which is why they were made -- and for seeing their fields of view accessory finders were needed. The VIOOH was the last in a series of multi-focal finders made by Leitz.</p>

<p>Hi Mukul:<br>

Thank you for the information. Based on what you wrote, would it be correct to assume that the VIOOH (and TUVOO) would be redundant/not required on the later M cameras, e.g., like the M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M6TTL, and higher. Just for info, the well-known site suggests that VIOOH be used with the Noctilux + hood because the combination blocks the built-in camera viewfinder. I must state that the author of this well-known site does not mention the camera; I think the Noctilux does not mount on the IIIf and earlier Leicas. </p>

<p>The M Leicas have multiple frames in their finders: M3 has 50, 90, 135; M2 has 35, 50, 90; and so on. Thus on the M3 an accessory finder is needed for 35mm and wider lenses, and one is needed on the M2 for 28mm and wider and for 135mm. Because the accessory finder sits atop the camera, it escapes being blocked by large lenses and their even larger hoods. While there is often some means of compensating for parallax, nothing can be done about the separation of the points of view of camera lens and finder. I believe the Noctilux has been made only in M mount.</p>

<p>Roy - the Noctilux wasn't manufactured in a screw mount version, only the M bayonet mount. Mukul accurately described its principal use, which is to "see" the image that a particular focal length lens covers. The M bodies have framelines which achieve the same thing, although not necessarily the same range of focal lengths the VIIOH covers. I once owned an IMARECT and a VIOOH and found them less than a joy to use....they are squinty, and unless they have been cleaned, are often dull or hazy. Also, they do not have any diopter adjustment, making them even more difficult for an eyeglasses wearer to use. Although much more expensive (new or used) the individual focal length viewfinders by Leica and Voigtlander, especially the ones with framelines in them, makes them infinitely easier to use, with much better, clearer, images. Of course these finders can also be used on any of the Leicas - screwmount (Barnack models) or M mounts.</p>

<p>To use any cold shoe finders whether multiple or single focal length is no problem on LTM Leica cameras but using on M mount Leicas there is a problem. The top deck to include the cold shoe is 5mm higher on M cameras which may pose an issue with precise framing as indicated by parallax corrections. I had a similar problem using a 135 finder on Canon P Model, the finder and lens were designed for Canon IIb! Framing was off by a considerable amount. This bears trial and error if the scene is critical.</p>