"Leica" Engraving on Top

jerry_lehrer

Leicaphiles

I'm a bit confused now. I would like to know just which variants

of M series Leicas has the "Leica" name engraved on the top plate.

I don't mean the silkscreened name, I mean the deeply engraved

markings that do not rub off, or what is worse, left off completely.

I stopped buying new Leicas when the cameras became "naked".

Just how much is saved by deleting the engraving?

How many customers have been turned away by this?

Jerry

My M6TTL has a beautiful black top plate with no unnecessary painting or engraving on it. So the lack of engraving did not put me off buying one. I saw one of those engraved M7's in Japan just last week and did not find it too attractive. If I got to choose one with or without the engraving, I am pretty sure I would take the one without.

Personally I could happily live w/out the engraved top plate (and in fact I do, since neither of my M6s have one).

My pet peeve is the over engraving of the *front* of the top plate. Both of my Ms say "Leica / M6" on the front of the camera, right next to the red dot that says - you got it - "Leica" again!

My preference would be for a blank, M2-type front and blank, M6-type top, with "Leica" and whatever else needs be said in small letters on the back of the top plate.

Such are my philosophical meanderings on this brisk Sunday evening.

Classic engraving through the M5/CL - the M4-2/M4-P had heavier script that was both engraved and stamped at different times - it disappeared with the M6.

Engraving I get on my wife's jewelry - cameras are for taking pictures.... Just swapped an M4 and an M4-P with script for M6 bodies without script.

Leica reserved the top plate space for special edition, special memorial, special xxx, xxx, xxx etc and is becoming to be the most expensive piece of real estate. Akin to motorsport racing, logos and advertising demand these real estate and subsequently a vehicle body or a drivers' apparel becomes a walking "billboard". Quite frankly, the M6 or M7 body already have enough Leica logos.

Gerald,

The time to engrave the script Leica is definitly of some value, but inconsequential in this day of CNC machining. Extrapolate a second or so over the next million bodies or 15-20 years at their past production rates.

The problem is that the designs copyright (including the "width" of the lettering used from the Leitz days) is not owned by Leica Camera AG. They stopped engraving when they went to zinc tops, coincident with the time they were no longer E. Leitz GMBH. Zinc doesn't engrave well at all.

With the advent of brass top covers on the recent commemoratives apparantly they have paid whomever owns it an unknown amount for its use.

Personally I wish they could buy it back outright. In a world of change there should be some constants.

Best,

Jerry

Sal,

So be it, although in a marketing driven world, there's a lot to be said for trading in part on your heritage.

I doubt that Rolex would drop their gold crown and "oyster perpetual logo from their watches even though I understand their watches aren't quite what they used to be. Hmmm.

Best,

Jerry