Leica debuts S-system, 37-megapixel flagship S2 camera

ishik_tuna

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for Leica! They nailed their niche I think. I was looking at the Sinar Hy6, but this might be the ticket. What a beautiful design. It looks like a joy to use, just by looking at it. So long as it doesn't need IR filters, I am very interested. Yeah, it's expensive, but I'm not that connected to the new Hasselblads right now. If I just had a couple of cars to sell... hmm.

Any guesses on the 70mm lens cost? I'm thinking $8-9K USD. They also should have a zoom. Can't wait to see the first pics taken with it. I wonder if it's a model, working model, or beta.

Awsome! I just hope people will be more happy about all these new camera anouncements, ( S2, 5D MKII ) and less grumpy if a camera

doesn't have 20 fps or dual card slots. This are great times to live in, with very interesting news so often! And for the Leica fans like

myself, the S2 (as they claim) is the door to other digital Leica cameras yet to come. Let's all hope the best for Leica and a good future for

the S2.

30 x 45 mm. and less bulky than a 1Ds MKIII that was a surprise !

I like it - a real competitor to the Fujiblad cameras, and it is honestly an innovation from Leica, as opposed to the glacial

pace they've otherwise taken. It's not a huge market, to be sure, but a profitable one, and if it pans out, will help support the

company in other endeavors.

And hey, it only took till 2008 for an autofocus Leica:)

It's called S2 as a follow-on to their medium format S1 camera, which sold a few hundred units, and is superb. The S1 is pretty much a "copy" camera.

IR filters? Quite unlikely, with a reflex mirror in there, the lenses should be quite telecentric. No problem with a proper filter on the sensor.

It shows that they have AF technology under control, both the camera and lens ends. Whatever the "R10" is, it will surely have auto-focus. Probably the electrical interface to the "AF" R lenses will be the same as these S lenses.

I suppose this means that they would know how to make mini-Four-Thirds lenses, which also have to be autofocus.

Fascinating display of technical chops to pull this off. Bold move.

I suppose starting at the "pro" end means that they can leave some of the cost-optimization until later.