Leica Company Store in Japan

Leica used to have a gallery in Ginza for several years. Now the gallery has moved together with the new store. At least Bic Camera in Yurakucho also has a separate Leica section where you can order a-la carte models. Japan has always been a big market for Leica (well for past 20 years at least).

<p>Really? The young guy who was there was quite nice and let me handle the MP with no

trouble. It was my first time to the place and I <a href="http://kenshukan.net/john/

archives/2006/07/31/again-about-the-ginza-leica-shop/"> blogged about it recently </a>

... the thing I found interesting was the contrast of the expensive luxury cameras on the

first floor and the Salgado pictures of poor Indians working in mines above. Andrew, did

you go to the new Leica shop or the place on the second floor across from Matsuya that sells

Leicas? Those old guys there are quite rude- even more so than Camera Ichiba in Shinjuku

(above the ABC shoes store).</p>

Here is a picture of the new place- I am thinking that you were at the place down the street

from that clock tower building on the second floor (it had a gallery above too)- and the guy

there that I talked to was one of the two rudest people I have ever met in Japan. The second

is a photo book store owner in Ochanomizu. If you are still in Japan you should try to find

the new place. Their MP and M7 on display lack the cords to the display counter like at Bic

Camera down the street. I noticed that the clerk quickly polishes them each time they have

been touched.<div>00HdDv-31715384.jpg.cd4a153ecb6cf2a7a6867585980287b6.jpg</div>

I doubt the success of that retail model. Hell, automobiles can cost a hell of a lot more than

a Leica and they still let you handle them before you buy.

But as I said, the Bic and Yodobashi stores right in that area are happy to let you fondle

almost anything you'd like before buying, including Leicas and even more expensive gear

like Linhof 617 rigs.