Leica chain straps

skinny_mcgee

Hello again,

I was wondering if the leica chain straps for sale on E*** are

good for us on a 111a? Do they fit the lugs and are they damaging

to the camera? Was this a piece that would have been availble in

1935? I have a case for the camera but I really don't trust the

strap that is on there. I would like a period style srap that I

can feel comfortable with to support my new (old) Leica.

Thanks

Skinny

Thanks

Skinny

Skinny:

This has been asked before and gets the same response: some don't like the

chains. I have a IIIa, with the metal chain on it. The chain I have has a lock

down screw so the chain can't come off accidently, and it has a little rubber

gromet that protects the camera body. Never had a problem with comfort or

use.

However, if you want a cloth type strap, most camera stores carry little rings or

triangles that clip onto the camera lugs, and the strap then fits to the rings or

triangles.

Happy snaps.

Skinny,

I have a few straps from the fifties and they are all about 6~8mm wide. The original strap of my IIIf has riveted ends with twist clips. Another from a Retina IIIc has clips that resemble small padlocks. I think any straight leather strap with adjustable cufflink type lugs (very popular during the 60's/70's), plus a pair of triangular D rings will look right on your IIIa.

The chain straps, tho of correct vintage are a real PITA (well, maybe PITN).

I like to wrap the straps around my cameras when I put them in the bag, so a chain would do a real number on them. In fact think Al Kaplan uses one when he does his $500 2-week instant-distressing service for people with mint bodies : )

Unless you get your hair cut (and neck hairs shaved) weekly, a chain strap will indeed be an exercise in personal torture. Evil things!

(Of course, when chain straps were current, weekly haircuts were also current! Very short haircuts!)

Also, those little locking rings that hold the latch shut are not reliable. I've had a camera fall that was on a strap with that type of latch/lock, if not a chain strap.

Hi Skinny:

If this thread is still alive...

I have no experience of the chain strap. Seems like it could be quite uncomfortable though. For what it's worth I use a Lowepro olive green cotton webbing strap with my IIIa. It has nice robust plastic sprung hooks for attaching to the lugs and comes with little black leather protector pads so as not to scratch up the chrome. These hooks make it possible to remove the strap very easily from the camera if you want to be really discreet.

Very recently somebody here on the forum mentioned a site, www.mclassics.com which offers really nice classic-looking leather straps in different colors for not much money.

Best, David

I must repeat what Alex and John have said. Those "snake" chains will keep on pulling hairs off the back of your neck with every move you make! A few short pieces of vinyl or rubber tubing can be slid over the snaps to protect the camera from scratches. Come to think of it, a 10 inch length of tubing would protect your neck hairs as well! Now the thing begins to get rather ugly, though! Best regards, Bill

.[.Z, they don't have anyplace where you can stick a roll of Tri-X inside of them. My Omega B-22XL doesn't have a carrier for "film cards". "The Massive Development Chart" doesn't list times for any of the many brands of film cards. You mean there's something else that I need to know?