Leica APO Summicron: 75 f/2 compared to 90 f/2...?

luigi v

Hello all.

I own a 90 f/2 APO Summicron and I am very pleased with it but I've been thinking -quite for

a while now...- to either get a 75 f/2 APO as well and/or sell on the 90 and just keep the 75

f/2).

I love portraits shots and I keep reading glowing reviews of the f/2 75...

BUT, is the exchange REALLY worthed in your experience/feelings (considering matters like

size, bo-keh, lens computation etc) ?.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Luigi,

Since picking up a 75/2.0 my 90SAA has seen very little use. My travel kit now consists of a 35/1.2 and 75/2.0, and I couldn't be happier. For me, the gap between 35 and 90 was too big, and the 90 a little too tight for close portraiture. I prefer to get a little more environment in the shot, and the 75 does that very well.

Will I sell the 90SAA? No way. I will cut back on Starbucks for a few years instead.

Dear Luigi,

My 90 Summicron is pre-aspheric, but I don't regard this as terribly important: so's my 35 Summilux. But since getting the 75 Summicron I find 35/75 the perfect combination. It's focal length for me, not apheric/pre-aspheric. That and size, weight and the gorgeous quality of the 75/2...

Cheers,

Roger

• 1 year later...

Luigi,

With all respect to your desires, you will probably regret selling the 90SAA. It is a fabulous lens imho Leica's best. I sold my black version and in two weeks(and a few rolls of film) withdrawls set in. I quickly turned around and purchased a chrome version and now I am happy to say I have my "fix"

Richard