Botte,Leica has agreed to make a film camera that commemorates the

9/11 attacks in 2001. The Botte-designed camera is made from a solid

block of titanium.Botte, a New York city detective, used his own

Leica in 2001 to record the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy. Although

Botte contacted lung disease following 9/11, he agreed with

HarperCollins to put out a book of his best 9/11 images. The book is

expected sometime in 2006.

I'm going to look for that book.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun but I find the idea of 'yet another limited edition' luxury glass-case collectible Leica 9/11 silk-lined commemorative obscene, reprehensible, repugnant and insipid. Does Leica hope to profit from the tragic events surrounding 9/11? Or would it donate the proceeds to the families of those who died on that fateful day?

Someone please help me to see the logic in this commemorative.

This is one of the worst ideas I have heard in a very long time.

Shiver,-- I agree whole-heartedly. I am disturbed by greedy people trying to climb on the bandwagon to make a dirty dollar.

The only 911 I want to see commemorated is the Porsche 911.

Now if ALL the proceeds (not profits) of the Leica book and camera went to families of the victims of 9/11, ot would be OK.

• 1 month later...
Just to set the record straight; this camera was made specially for John to pay tribute to his fallen colleagues, and to John himself who sustained life-threatening injuries in his service with the NYPD at 911. This camera is not being produced by Leica in any quantity whatsoever, nor will it ever be. This camera was made specifically for John and is the only one of its kind. John is one of the most talented individuals to walk thru my door in 30 years of repairing Leicas. The old adage that states, "If a picture is worth 1,000 words", John's are worth 5,000 words! He had an opening at the Frankfurt airport at the first anniversary of 911. It was one of the only shows I know of that was held over for an additional term. Several million people were able to view his work. He is an extremely talented photographer. I look forward to John's book, "Aftermath", which is the only book of its kind, shot entirely using Leica cameras and black and white film. Sherry Krauter