Leica - A celebration idea and a motivation to return to days of simple photographic approach

aplumpton

<p>So 2025 is not that far off. If a possible hundredth anniversary edition of a commercial Barnack type Leica copy is to offer something of use to admirers of that camera series, would not an offer similar to that of the previous "0" Leica be in the cards? An original or Standard series Leica would offer more easily accessible photography than the "0" to its purchasers, possibly constructed using copies of original components (Like the 2000 series Nikon rangefinders of the 50s), but with a modern multicoated reformulation of the Elmar or Elmax lens.</p>

<p>As some prototypes were apparently available years before 1925, a release date could be even earlier than 2025. The cost would ideally be considerably less than the most recent film Leicas for it to attract significant attention from users.</p>

<p>Personally, I would like a simple camera like that, as a motivation to re-adapt to a fresh photographic approach. Would others be as interested?</p>

<p>If a non monitor incorporated digital version be considered and kept equally simple in function, that might be acceptable as well, should the film market not continue to hold up past 2020.</p>

<p>Many photographers, (me, certainly) would welcome such a thing as: a Full-Frame digital Leica body, of good digital capacity, e.g.. 36-meg or more, and constructed to the same dimensions as a Leica Standard (II or III), perhaps with M-mount so that LTM adapters can be used. I would enthusiastically insert such a marvel into my Leica outfit-case, interchanging it with an original early film camera when required.</p><div>00eB9A-565842084.jpg.13fff5808796ea8e9338df765f347c62.jpg</div>

<p>Even simpler is the Olympus Trip with fixed Zuiko 40mm. Still available for around £15.00 and easily self-refurbished (unless the meter is dead). A remarkable lens for the price.<br>

I'm not in the market for a new Leica, whatever the occasion.<br>

I can certainly see the attraction in a digital Standard, but I prefer film, and when I buy another Leica to join the M6 and 111c it will be a CLA/d pre-war camera.</p>

<p>The advantage of a classic re-issue would be that of a newly wrought camera that should work well and last long (10 to twenty years or more) without need for expensive service, and with some hope that the manufacturer would keep parts for some time forward. III series parts have not been produced or kept by Leica for a long time now.</p>

<p>I agree with John F. and David that cheaper alternatives exist (I have an Autocord 6x6 and a IIIc/f - not anywhere as complete a kit as that of John C - as well as a near mint Vito B purchased for $25) that also allow simpler approach photography, but at a reasonable price (1000 to 2000$ for Leica?) a modern lens re-issue of the Standard might interest some.</p>

<p>A digital hybrid with some similarity to the equivalent non-monitor M (I forget the series number) could have a high resolution but less than FF sensor to keep costs down, although the Standard "replica" could have LTM interchangeability to allow older Leitz or other more modern optics (V-C). Given the probable price, some options should be left to a consumer.</p>

<p>I am not holding my breath and will be happy to modestly practice old style photography with the Autocord or Vito B, or even the more expensive IIIc/f.</p>

<p>They might well do it, but I don't know if there would be that much interest from users rather than collectors. A fully serviced original LTM camera is still going to be cheaper than anything Leica is likely to charge these days, and (if it's a rangefinder model as the majority are) more convenient to use than a copy of the model A.</p>

<p>Nikon seems to have kept the price down on their re-tooled S3 and SP reissues, which included a modern and multicoated version of the SC Nikkor f1.4 standard lens. The roughly $2000 for S3 body, lens and leather case was much cheaper in readjusted dollar terms than that of buying the new cameras in the late 50s from normal production lines. Nikon has a lot of resources and probably subsidised the costs in promoting its golden years of RF cameras. A case of pride, and not one of purely commercial objectives.</p>

<p>Perhaps Leica, not known to give away very much, might even take a page from the Nikon experience. Of course, if they were to go the digital rather than the film route in providing a less than FF sensor in a 100 year old look alike body (the model A, and not the 1932 Standard as I previously mentioned in error), a monitor inclusion would allow different lenses to be used on it, in addition to the 50mm optical finder. That wouldn't be a perfect copy (unless a film version would result), but one which would likely have greater interest and acquirers. </p>

<p>I admit that I am a "rusted-on" antiquarian, and would encourage everyone to insist on "Full Frame". This ties in with Leica history: a genealogy of enthusiasm. An old-Leica-modelled digital camera would thus have an accessory shoe in the correct position, so that any of the old viewfinders can be used. The body should, of course, be useable on Focoslides, Panoramic Heads etc., and be able to be inserted into the old ever-ready cases.<br>

Pipedreams? Perhaps. But I really did expect that, by now, such a camera would have been manufactured.</p>

<p>I'd still prefer a set of anniversary lens caps to be issued. - I might buy one, although a part of a saccharine dispenser works well on my 50mm 'cron.<br>

For retro vibes I'd simply grab an old camera. - 2 independent local repair shops seem still in business and I don't value the "retro" idea enough to sink what could buy me more than a Sony A7 II in it. - Is shooting digital Ms really that fast paced that we need further deceleration badly? - I always considered it already a bit "retro" (besides "just right").<br>

I've never been a big fan of scale focusing 50mms. - One wastes a lot of lens speed with that approach, compared to using an RF at least.</p>

<p>Lots of good reflections!</p>

<p>Jochen, if the choice of Leica woulds be a digital Leica A (or Leica 1 in Europe), then a focus-peaking facility (it would have to be on a (cap-able?) backside monitor, as an EVF would not likely be possible without changing the body shape and frontal appearance) would get around the limitations of the scale focus issue. I would suggest a high resolution monitor rather than the piddly ones on the M8 and M9 series. John Charles, if the classic size body accepts a FF sensor, that would be good, but its thickening, whether FF or smaller, would be a negative result I think. Karim is right that modern coatings of classic lenses might be on, provided that the machinery and dies to produce those lenses would be still available or easily adapted to. A modern lens (like the Tessar formula optics of the of the more recent collapsible Elmar-M (although without the collapsing feature) might be a good option, even restricting its aperture to f3.5 to mimic the original features. Given high ISO performance and the probable use of the camera, an f3.5 aperture would probably not be a great impediment. </p>

<p>Imagine: the invention of a digital sensor as thin as a piece of film! It could be slid into an old Barnack body, with the required processors etc being housed in something like the shell of a Mooly motor, attached to the base of the camera. Such seemingly outlandish concepts have often become realities.</p>