Leica 35 pre-ASPH Summilux & CV 40 Nokton

I have had both, or should say I currently have the CV 40 Nokton and previously owned the 35/1.4 pre-asph Summilux. The Nokton appears to be about 10 times less flare prone then the 35/1.4 pre-asph Summilux. In that regard, I consider it far superior.

The 35/1.4 pre-ASPH Summilux design dates to 1963. The optical formula was never revised, although the coatings may have been approved. You are comparing a 2004 lens design to a 1963 lens design. The CV 40/1.4 physical appearance is a copy of the Leitz lens. It looks just like it. A one off/

Although it looks like a similar design on paper the Nokton is the better lens optically and closer to the ASPH in performance. Modern glass and coatings as well as a refinement of the design would account for this. Like the current 50mm f2.8 is similar in optical formula to the older Elmar 50mm f2.8 yet the modern lens is notibly better in optical perfomance. In the comparisons I have seen by Howard Cummer posted here, the Nokton is way ahead of the old summilux, but as Eliot has said it is a 60's design and was never evolved like some other lenses so you would expect a recent design to surpass it with ease.