Leica 24 asph and finder...a good way to keep finder nose-grease free?

<p>Been thinking of adding a 24mm to my kit, but my experience with a Mamiya 7 and

43mm/external finder makes me wonder if anyone has a solution to the "nose grease on

the finder" problem for right-eyed people.

<p>What I mean is, when one looks throught an external finder (using the right eye)

mounted on the hot shoe, one's nose always seems to sully the finder eyepiece with

grease. And me being me, this means the finder is basically unusable very quickly.

<p>The only idea I can think of is using the Double Accessory Shoe from Voigtlander

(<a href="http://www.cameraquest.com

/voigtacc.htm">http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtacc.htm</a>). I'd mount the 24 vf on

the leftmost position, and maybe my nose and it's copious grease would miss the finder!

Have any other ideas, or comments?

<p>Of course, the easy solution would be to use my LEFT eye, but...let's see what we can

come up with.

<p>Call me: Nose Grease Man.<div>007gwD-17033784.jpg.614359ab64abe87cc481207886fab6e8.jpg</div>

If you have a .72 finder, you can peek around the finder and see the complete coverage of the 24. I don't use the aux finder at all w my 24 and don't have any problem. You actually don't really need to peek around - just assume you will get a bit more than you easily see through the finder. This "incomplete" coverage is essentially the same view you get using most SLRs which do not have full-frame viewfinders either - except for the pro models.

If you have to wear glasses when shooting, however, the above is not really workable.

I by chance had the 1.25x mag thing in place when using the 24 finder, and it

stuck out enough that my nose had to go just to the right of it. So no nose

grease got on its optics. Alternately, just practicing not sticking my nose in the

eyepiece has solved what seemed at first to be a huge problem.

Just take a belt sander to your nose until everything fits.

Actually, I use the 24mm finder all the time, and I haven't had the nose-grease issue. I think you learn quickly how to hold the camera and your head to avoid this.

I disagree about not using the auxiliary finder. I have a 0.58 internal viewfinder, and while it approximates the coverage nicely, the perspective of a 24mm is vastly different than what you see through the camera.

David, put one of those small round bandaids on the tip of your nose, that should do it. :-) Doing a little testing, I find that my nose only touches the viewfinder if I have my head tilted slightly to the right. If you make a practice of tilting your head to the left a bit, the nose should miss it.