Leaving the U.S. with lots of Camera gear and returning

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Sandy Vongries, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Prudent individuals take reasonable measures to avoid / mitigate unpleasant situations - documentation, first aid kits fire extinguishers, and other useful things depending on the circumstances. Those that don't bother to do the same often depend on those who are prepared and are frequently referred to as victims.
  2. According to Registering equipment, computer, camera, laptops, etc. prior to traveling, "
    You can register any goods with serial numbers at your local Customs and Border Protection (CBP) port of entry, or the port from which you will be departing." It does not say "you have to" but, yes, "you can". It also goes on to say you "need to" contact the embassies of the countries you visit about your equipment. Even Sandy missed that one.

But please do not bring a fire extinguisher - think this item is too prudent to be allowed on the airplane. Don't be a victim at airport security. ;)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. "and other useful things depending on the circumstances." There are, of course, a broad spectrum of useful / essential things that can no longer be brought on commercial aircraft which is why I drive whenever possible.
  4. Sandy, I was being sarcastic, as your prior post states that "those that don't bother to do the same [as you?] often depend on those who are prepared and are frequently referred to as 'victims' ". Then you went on to mention bringing a fire extinguisher - which is specifically forbidden by the TSA.

The fact is that registering photo gear is not required by CBM and it is no longer the usual travel practice of photographers. Not registering photo gear with the CBM (and not informing various embassies of what photo gear you are bringing into their countries) is not "imprudent". It's quite OK.

That said, it would be a good idea to keep a record for yourself in case there is an insurance claim.

Enjoy your trip.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. He said, “...leaving...and returning.” Sometimes the government puts one of its own citizens on the no-fly list whle the citizen is already abroad, which prevents him or her from returning. In some cases, it can take years to get home.

Bon voage!
  6. Bon voage!
    Yeah....I guess...
  7. Maybe he/she should have registered with CBP before leaving... :D
  8. I refuse to reply to this post lest I encounter CBP problems on my next trip for the first time ever after no problems on past 80 or so international trips. :)
    Mary Doo likes this.