Leave 4x5?

john_kasaian4

<p>I haven't shot 4x5 in many, many years.<br /> I actually have a pretty nice kit---likely not worth much but I figured if I get too old to lug around the 8x10 I'd still be in the game with the 4x5.<br /> I don't think I'd miss not being able to afford color, but I can still shoot color film in smaller formats and if need be I have 4x5 reducing backs for the 8x10 & 5x7. Keeping back a few holders and a lens won't take up much space--I may even have a spare lens board for the 'dorff.<br /> It is the <em>getting the too old to haul around an 8x10</em> part that concerns me the most.<br /> Then again someone else could put this stuff to better use than collecting dust in storage<br /> Thoughts, suggestions or guidance?</p>

<p>I say if you're going to shoot large format, shoot LARGE format. I like B&W better than color anyway, at least for film. The size weight of an 4x5 kit is not that different than the weight of a 8x10 kit. Just carry fewer lenses/holders. No harm in selling the 4x5 if you don't use it. It's not getting any more valuable.</p>

<p>As far as getting old... not much I can help with there. Stay active, exercise regularly, keep yourself engaged in shooting. If you have to, get a jogging stroller to haul around your camera gear. :-) </p>

I see my LF cameras as cameras offering control over the focal plane and perspective. Movements. A 4x5" does that as well as a much larger 8x10".<br>Because of the relative inconvenience of using sheet film and the many holders you need to carry, because of availability of emulsions, because i can scan roll film much better than sheet film myself, and because of cost, i almost exclusively use roll film on the 4x5" (6x9 or 6x12).<br>For me the best compromise.

<p>Let me suggest that you consider going to 5x7. If you go this route, you may find that most or all of your 4x5 lenses will work fine on 5x7, as may your current tripod, and that the overall aspect of logistics (system weight, space requirements, camera setup, processing, etc.) will be close enough to those of 4x5 to allow for a very smooth, efficient, and economical transition, while often offering a noticeable improvement in print quality in any size greater than, and sometimes equal to, 16x20.</p>

<p>Another vote for jogging strollers & selling, if the bigger cameras are your hobby / passion / tool of choice.<br>

Maybe mail delivery pedelecs are also handy to haul excessive gearinto nature, if one doesn't mind driving them around in a van or truck.<br>

Personally I'll keep my Technika hoping to shoot it someday, even handheld with Rangemeter. I'm just not sure I could convince people to sit for a groundglas focused portrait.</p>

<p>Bill, nearly all my shooting is done with an 8x10 these days. I also have 5x7 and a 12x20 camera. I'm just trying to cut down on some distractions. My GVII is safely in it's case with a stack of holders, waiting to be recalled to service along with an Omega D-II for<em> if</em> and <em>when.</em><br>

It would be much harder to give up the 12x20.<em><br /></em></p>