Learning about lenses visually

finescenery.com

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p>I've been with photo.net for quite a while, although not posted many photos. You can check some at my website in the profile but this is not my point. One day I decided that I'll be more helpful to community not by making more landscapes but helping others learn something that I've learned about photography.</p>

<p>So my LensTutorial project was born, you can check it here: <a href="http://www.lenstutorial.com">www.lenstutorial.com</a><br>

It was inspired by many dof calcs that only give you dull numbers. As opposite to that I tried to visually represent such interrelated concepts as focal length, field of view, dof and subject distance on one picture and make it all interactive. You can roll the dials the way you like and learn how they work.<br>

Presently there is only version for iPhones/iPads which is free.<br>

Suggestions and feature requests are welcome.<br>

But ultimately I only seek a thumbs up. Please check it out and share your thoughts.</p>

<p>Cheers, Denis</p>

<p>A suggestion for the focal length section, new photographers have a hard time understanding the effects of focal length. They have a 18-55mm kit lens and want a new lens but have no idea what 200mm means as it relates to what they have. I recommend letting them realize if they take 50mm, cut it into quarters, one of those quarters will be 100mm. Cut that view again into quarters that will be the view of a 200mm, rinse and repeat there's diminishing returns. It helps prevent the shock when they get a 70-300mm and wonder why the difference between 265mm and 300mm is almost nothing but the difference of their kit lens between 18mm and 55mm is massive... when they're both about 35mm. </p>

<p>Nice work. Like the format and imagery. Thumbs up for me! </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Suggestions and feature requests are welcome.<br />But ultimately I only seek a thumbs up. Please check it out and share your thoughts.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm confused by the contradictions of what you want especially with the use of that word <strong><em>only.</em></strong></p>

<p>I can't give it a thumbs up because the presentation on that page doesn't give an indication how to access the information. Also I don't have a mobile device to give a thorough and honest assessment. The included photos on that site page don't clearly illustrate a tie in with the issues of using a lens. It's a very professional looking presentation I'ld have to say.</p>

<p>My only suggestion along the lines of Matt's is that you show the effects a zoom lens in the areas of wide angle to distance from subject has on the appearance of composition as seen through the viewfinder especially with regard to the degree of overlap of elements within a scene changing either or both distance and focal length.</p>

<p>For instance at slightly wide angles using the kit lens on my Pentax K100D DSLR, if I spot a bird in a tree off to the side of the frame with another tree that appears next to it but further up field and much closer to the lens and slightly blurred by DOF composed through the viewfinder, after taking the shot, the captured image shows this foreground tree overlapping on top of the bird, concealing it.</p>

<p>I don't know if this is caused by mirror misalignment, wide angle distortion or that the viewfinder just isn't accurate, but it is an issue and I'm always having to mentally compensate for this before the bird flies away adjusting and readjusting focal length and distance with practice shots.</p>

<p>Kit lenses and viewfinders are a funky thing to deal with on DSLR's. I even had this issue with Fuji F10 P&S. It's a big PITA that I don't see anyone addressing in any tutorials.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Suggestions and feature requests are welcome.<br />But ultimately I only seek a thumbs up. Please check it out and share your thoughts.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm confused by the contradictions of what you want especially with the use of that word <strong><em>only.</em></strong><em> </em></p>

<p>I can't give it a thumbs up because the presentation on that page doesn't give an indication how to access the information. Also I don't have a mobile device to give a thorough and honest assessment. The included photos on that site page don't clearly illustrate a tie in with the issues of using a lens. It's a very professional looking presentation I'ld have to say.</p>

<p>My only suggestion along the lines of Matt's is that you show the effects a zoom lens in the areas of wide angle to distance from subject has on the appearance of composition as seen through the viewfinder especially with regard to the degree of overlap of elements within a scene changing either or both distance and focal length.</p>

<p>For instance at slightly wide angles using the kit lens on my camera, if I spot a bird in a tree off to the side of the frame with another tree that appears next to it but further up field and much closer to the lens and slightly blurred by DOF composed through the viewfinder, after taking the shot, the captured image shows this foreground tree overlapping on top of the bird, concealing it.</p>

<p>I don't know if this is caused by mirror misalignment, wide angle distortion or that the viewfinder just isn't accurate, but it is an issue and I'm always having to mentally compensate for this before the bird flies away adjusting and readjusting focal length and distance with practice shots.</p>

<p>Kit lenses and viewfinders are a funky thing to deal with on DSLR's. I even had this issue with Fuji F10 P&S. It's a big PITA that I don't see anyone addressing in any tutorials.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...