leading photographic educational institutions in the country

<p>As someone new to the field, I'd appreciate information on which U.S.-based schools/programs are c

onsidered "the best" in the country for photography. In other words, what are the leading educational institutions for

professional photography degrees in terms of (1) commercial photography, (2) fine arts photography, and (

3) photojournalism/documentary photography?</strong><br>

I am looking for a

solid education in order to improve my technical skills, make industry connections, learn about business aspects

of photography, not just a good school name to put on my resume - since I realize that the act

ual certificate or degree in arts matters less than talent and the photos themselves! Thanks!</p>

<p>I think the school of hard knocks is still the most challenging and best overall.</p>

<p>How can you learn to be a painter, a poet? Any schools out there worth the time and money? To become a creative nobel prize writer, photographer? I doubt that.</p>

<p>Now if you want to become a professional, not an art photographer, then of course there are courses and curricula with connections etc. But these schools will rarely advance the art of photography; but maybe I am wrong as i am struggling with myself by myself to find and create beauty and reflect the world in photos without any school degree ...</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>SCAD has a very strong overall program. A variety of faculty, excellent facilities and has campuses in 4 locations: Savannah & Atlanta GA, Lacoste France, and Hong Kong. Get a degree and be able to add the experience of living at least one term in another part of the world.</p>

<p>My 2 cents.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have the same question as Kimberly but with the added constraint that I must use distance learning; I cannot up and move to another city for any length with a family at home.</p>

<p>I'm particularly interested in hearing feedback about NYIP. Any others schools operate according to the same model as NYIP (distance learning)?</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice,</p>

<p>David</p>