LCD screen adjustments to match RAW

stane

Hi,

Here is my problem. I am shooting in RAW. Pictures on LCD screen looks OK, but

when I look at them in C1LE, they are very different from ones on LCD screen;

underexposed and more contrasty. Sometimes they are underexposed almost 1 stop.

I belive JPEG photo is shown on LCD screen. What settings should I use in Nikon

D80, so that picture on LCD screen would match RAW picture?

Thank you

Stane

What you see in the LCD display of your camera is always a preview image that has been converted to jpg (from raw) by the cameras internal processing algorithm. All your settings (regarding sharpness, contrast saturisation had been applied on it).

The raw image is simply raw sensor data. Your settings have not been applied on it. (They are just stored along with it). If a program uses the settings stored by the camera as default values, or if it just ignores these settings is up to the program.

So in your case C1LE doesn't seem to make any use of those settings (eventually except whitebalance).

Hi Rainer,

thank you for your answer. But I want to get picture on camera LCD to look like one in C1. So I have to set all features in Nikon D80 to lowest value (-2) to get picture as close as possibile to RAW file, which I see on computer screen.

regards

Stane

-- "So I have to set all features in Nikon D80 to lowest value (-2) to get picture as close as possibile to RAW file, which I see on computer screen."

It's worth a try ... nevertheless, even if this gives you a similar look to what C1LE displays now, don't forget, that there are a lot of parameters you can play with when you do the raw conversion. For example ... whitebalance ... just set a different whitebalance for the conversion, and you get a different result. One raw image doesn't have only one possible result, it has a lot of them, and only you can decide which one you find best. It's very unlikely that you find a cemera setting that is always matching the resulting image.

Stane, the camera LCD is not meant to gauge the exposure of your pictures. Use the histograms screen.

There are several good pages on the web describing how to use the histograms to optimize the exposure with digital camera. Try searching them. For example, use the following keywords: "exposure histogram".

Roberto

Stane ...

the camera's preview LCD's intent is really just to check for composition and in some instances, focus. i would NEVER use the onboard camera LCD for proper exposure and so on - although it could be used as an indicator of proper white balance.

use the histogram for an exposure check.

what you are looking at is the JPG image result of everything you have set in the camera. remember, the camera converts the RAW into JPG and that is what you're looking at. if you're shooting RAW only, you're looking at (camera's LCD) the embedded JPG inside the RAW file.

the reason we shoot RAW *IS* for PP of images. you dont really want to be doing post-processing in the camera. if you have THAT MUCH time to do PP in-camera, then i suggest you shoot tethered.

chimping, IMO, leads to a crippled photographer.

regards, michael

RAW files have no intrinsic adjustments other than exposure - not white balance, not color space, nada. Therefore, if you get the exposure correct, which you can see from the Histogram, you are OK.

If you somehow dumb-down the LCD to look as flat and lifeless as an unprocessed RAW file, you will be contantly trying to "improve" the images in real-time, or be consistently dissatisfied with your results. You are better off to use in-camera adjustments to make a reasonable presentation, and adjust the RAW file in post processing.

Thank you all for your answers. What was confusing (for me at least) is that picture on the LCD screen is in camera converted JPEG (that I knew) but histogram is from RAW-NEF file. O made some "test shots" today and compare histogeam on LCD and in C1. I thought that histogram is also from JPEG picture shown on the LCD screen. I will go with Edward suggustion. Well, this is how I have set camera untill now, only I know better now. Thank you.