LBA/CBA game -- the Seinfield style

hinman

I was reading some previous interesting threads that all discuss about our

buying habits and I was thinking of one episodes of Sienfield where the four

friends in the group propose not to have something silly and I don't remember

what exactly that silly thing is -- it is either no se- or no masta--tion

(spelling) and whoever does it first loses the game and the last one standing

without that silly thingy wins the bet. And I don't remember who wins but I

remember Kramer was the first one to go, and I love Kramer.

That is the proposal for the LBA/CBA game. The game starts on April 15, say for

3 months, and let's see who holds the longest in not buying anything and that

includes watchlist in ebay with 0 item and probably some more strictest

measures. Camera repair/accessories/rental/film processing are excluded as we

need to enjoy our hobbies. Just no camera and lens buying.

I want to see who wins without Ebay watchlist, any lens/camera purchase for 3

months till July 15. It is an honest system and report back every month end who

bought something.

I am in! More suggestions to make it fun after tax time are more than welcome.

It may help us clear our mind and see if we are out of control -- I know I am,

especially few month ago. And I hope the three month trial on photography only

without gear hunting allow us to clear our mind in seeing what we actually need

I'm not playing!. I really don't have a problem. It's all of you that has the problem. Not me! really I can stop any time I want to, I just don't want to right now. I have lenses I need. Really, I can justify each and every need. So I know it's not me it's all of you.

What's the first of the 12 steps?.....

I wasn't thinking that far...

I was just thinking about Hin's 45-135mm - and, wondering if it would break the rules if I got it, and sent him ... (say my 35mm F2 as a trade item) until the 3 months ended, and I could buy the zoom from him outright... :)

Since Hin just got himself a k10d - I'm sure he'd like some more automatic glass to play with... (Like Eve - I too can tempt...) :) "eat the apple, darn it!" :D

Rose, I reckon that if you send Hin his cheque for the 45-135mm before the 15th, you're OK.<br>

<br>

As for me, I was IN...until Hin said "and that includes watchlist in ebay with 0 item". NOOOOOO!!!! You can't take that away from me! Not my watch list, Hin! How am I going to feed my inner evil child if it's not by watching people buy used FA 50s for more than they cost new!?!? If we can change the eBay rule, I would be in.<br>

<br>

Hin, what about accessories? I need to buy some caps within the next months or so.<br>

<br>

This could be the beginning of our 12-step program.<br>

<br>

<p align=center>

<i>Lord,

Grant me the <b>serenity</b><br>

to accept there are lenses I cannot buy<br>

<br>

<b>Courage</b> to bid on the ones I can<br>

<br>

And <b>Wisdom</b> to know the difference<br>

</p>

<br>

what are we thinking about...

imagine this - the ones who don't agree to this, get cheaper prices on ebay because the rest of us have stopped bidding for the next 3 months...

and then they come on here, and brag about how lucky they were to win such a great deal -

imagine all the posts of new lenses, or if a rebate comes out, and we can't shop it - because of the competition...

And, then - if a few people drop out early - and, post their new purchases, we'll all grumble because we're gonna really 'hate' this not-shopping deal.

Mis: you're allowed to buy accessories - Hin said "no" only to cameras and lenses....

I'm thinking an extension tube could be considered an accessory, flashes, reflectors, mono-pods... there's still a ton of shopping we can take advantage of - if we decide to go through with this competition... It could be a good way to round out our kit of all those bits and pieces we'd avoided because our money was going into "sweet" primes...

Still, come April 25th - any emails that come out, posting pics and raving about the quality of the new 200mm, or some other lens (and an online sale of "buy one, get one half off"- I'm gonna' really hate that poster...

Gift are excluded. Again watchlist for active item need to be ZERO. No bidding allowed even if you intend to jack up the price for others. You can only watch, perhaps with bookmark and stumble upon to cater the need for ebay watchlist. It is the evil of all of my purchases.

An email apology is sent to Rose as I have temporarily decided not to sell my poor man's choice of DA * 50-135 -- my Pentax K 45-125 as it is well suited for my needs with kid's portraits.

Selling is allowed in the game as it is meant to trim our gear, clear our head and focus on photography instead of gear hunting. After this, I will wipe out all of my watchlist in ebay. The game started for me today, buy you guys have it till 4/15 to start.

Accessories and gifts from others are excluded and the simple rule is no new purchase on lens and cameras and no watch list. There are many ways to escape the rules but your conscience will tell you if you lose. I am open to trading for lens instead of buying new and used gear. Use your own judgment for no new purchases on both lens and cameras.

I have drafted up my gear list in this blog post

<br><br>

<a href="http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/04/hins-camera-gear.html">http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/04/hins-camera-gear.html</a>

<br><br>

and you can see that I have identified 12 items for sale, donation, and gift to friends. I will continue to upgrade my gear list with roadmap as suggested by Tom and probably Miserere to get focused. And by 4/15, I will send out links to share with you guys the gem page for old lens that I frequent, the Kiron and the M42 gems.

I remember Kramer in that Seinfield episode with a silly bet on 'no s-- and mast-----on' come back the next day (maybe hours) after the bet and declared 'out-of-the-game'. The reason comes from his window facing a bathroom and his pretty neighbor is not helping him to succeed with an open shower window in NY. And Kramer tossed out the $5.00 bill on table and say 'she is all there undressed, what am I supposed to do, I am ouuuuuut of the game, got to go.' And the next day probably comes Elain and it is just as hilarious.

Hin, Fox had the rerun of that episode on a few weeks ago - shame to say I stayed awake to watch it - I'm more a night owl than morning person.

the bet only was to not 'M' - and - spent the episode showing the miserable remaining 3 - not being able to sleep at night ... until one after the other succumbed. And - George won.

I'm wondering why we're planning to torture ourselves like this... no lens shopping? It didn't make any sense for Seinfeld and his cohorts -and - does not buying a great peice of glass make sense for any of us?

besides - you never said what the 'prize' for succeeding is. I think it should be self driven. For every week - we don't buy a lens - we put $10 in a pot. On July 15 - for those who survived it - they take the pot and treat themselves to the 'lens' of their dreams.

For those who don't succeed. - The pot - up until week of 'loss' - goes to charity.

Does that sound like something we can live with?

meaning - If math is correct - 12 weeks = $120

- not the cost of a full lens - unless we're shooting for older glass - but, it could be part of a downpayment on that new 200mm... (now if they'd just lower the price on that...)

I can just see it now. Me standing up at the dinner table in front of all my friends and saying..."Hi, my name is Michael I am a lensaholic. I have been buying lens for over twenty years. I am sitting with ten 50mm F.2 lenses. I am out of control. I need help. I spend more time on EBay than with my wife."

I have a solution. Mis I will send you some funds, you buy the lens and then deliver them to me in person on one of your many trips across this great land of ours. That would not count as if I bought them would it? Sigh. If a tamaron 1.4X MC4 converter comes up for sure I will lose.

I'm watching 47 items on eBay and bidding on 13... well, only "seriously" bidding on 2 lenses right now... trying to get my hands on a nice 28mm lens since the 1.5 crop factor on the k10d is not getting me a normal perspective using my smc 50mm f/1.4 lens. So, is that an immediate disqualification? (I'm guessing yes). If there is a local Lenaholic Anonymous let me know... I'm tempted to bid on a CZJ Flektogon 20mm f/4 because "it looks cool". Somebody help me!! ;)