LBA/CBA challenge reaches 7/15/2008

hinman

Our challenge finally reaches the three month milestones from 4/16/2008 with no new purchase of lens/cameras for

3 months. And we have reached this milestone today. Some of the milestones and threads in my blog post <a

href="http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/04/lbacba-contest-seinfield-style.html">"LBA/CBA -- Sienfield

Style"</a> and recap of milestone threads

<br><br>

<ul>

<li>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00P6jj">Original Challenge Thread in Photo.net</a>

</li>

<li>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00PANH">Sign up Thread in photo.net</a>

</li>

<li><a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Pdn6">Milestone: end of 1st week</a>

</li>

<li>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Pdn6">Milestone into 1/2 of the challenge</a>

</li>

<li>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00Q1JK">Milestone: 15 days to go</a>

</li>

</ul>

<br><br>

Since the ban is effectively lifted today, it is a shame that I can't decide yet what is the 1st lens that I can

go out and purchase without guilt. I spend my most efforts in the 3 months for planning for trimming

<br><br>

<a href="http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/04/hins-camera-gear.html#plan">Hin's Lens Planning</a>

<br><br>

I think the challenge is both good and bad. Three months is a bit too long for me that I get annoyed in the 2nd

half of the challenge. I almost caved in last week in seeing some Vivitar Series 1 lens in ebay and I am glad

that I stick it to the end without new lens purchase.

<br><br>

Yes, I did it!

I had forgotten that today was the big day Hin. But the idea made a big difference in my habits. I didn't make it to the end but the restraint was worth it. I just couldn't resist a Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF Super-wide II for a mere $24.00 (net) in near mint condition. Gotta love those auctions with poor titles and little gems buried in the skimpy picture.

But that's been it for 3 months. It's been a good time getting re acquainted with each lens I own and selling off the ones I know I'll barely use. So in total I pocketed a fair chunk of change and really know that I don't need anything else to take a better picture.

Humm I wonder if anyone wants to part with an FA*600 for $200.00? ;)

Well, I too, survived - and, looked at CL photo section today, and didn't want anything ... hence - I may have truly mastered the urge to buy more glass.

I'm satisfied with what I have. right now, yes, there are lenses still unbought - and so what? Do I need them? I survived without them for all these months - yes, they're all nice to-haves - but not all that important on the 'must have' scale.

I probably won't buy anything for a while, still - funny - now that the hiatus is over - I don't feel the urge to shop. At least not for camera fixings. :)

Well done guys! We're proud of you! Now we need a Lens Buying Spree thread, how about that?

Hin, make your mind up, man! If you can't, then let me help you: DA* 50-135mm. You know you want it for your kid portraits... :-)

As for me, much like Javier, I have not bought a lens since I bought my last lens. Never have truer words been spoken Javier, and I applaud your wit. I also wish to congratulate your kids, who thanks to mummy's intervention, may one day be able to go to college.

Peter...what can I say that's insulting and funny at the same time, and which includes the words "super-wide", "$24" and "%#@*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...? When I think of something, I'll PM you.

Rose, it's true, you don't need anymore glass; it would just distract you from your main goal, which is to recover that lost canister. Less photographing and more posting is what you need, young lady!

At this rate, I'm going to have no canisters by next week - and this is with me posting and posting and posting... I tell you - if I go down to zip - I'm just not going to try to build it back up... It's an impossible feat - especially with me posting A LOT... And I just don't get it - how Godfrey can have 2 canisters and he posts so little in comparison. I think you all with the more cans must be bribing people. Otherwise, it just makes NO sense.

Mis, when I'm having a rough day (editing 3 weddings all due for delivery and I need to find a better way), all I need is to read some of your dry wit. "haven't bought a lens since my last lens". Love that and I'll have to try that on my wife! It won't work, but I'll get some satisfaction for being a smart ass.

Yeah Super wide is clearly a joke now but this lens seems close to equal to any limiteds I've owned even if the exterior cosmetics are crap.

I started the feeding frenzy today (just after the post above which now seems quite foolish). Another mis labeled auction. I have a 1000mm f10 Meade Schmidt modified with K mount coming now along with 8 other Pentax and 3rd party K mount lenses. Big lot of stuff labeled "Camera gear". One bidder and don't ask or I'll get flamed off the board.

So ignore anything I said above. LBA struck again.

Dave, I know it can't be that. IF you want to compare the amount of cameras and lenses I have in my desk drawer - I should have 5 canisters - not one...

Take into account - I buy, use, upgrade, but never sell... I have more than 10 cameras with multiple lenses spread through my apartment, in a drawer here, or there, or on the top shelf of a bookcase.

NO, Dave, you won't fool me on that one. I know it's bribery. must be.

Peter, I'm glad I can make you (someone!) smile (I am available for children's parties and funerals, by the way).

However, I wish I could have come up with that "since the last lens" quip, but I didn't. I was inspired to

slightly modify Javier's post where he wrote "Since my last purchase of the Sigma 500 F/4.5, I have not bought a

single lens...". I'm still not sure whether he realised how funny he was :-)<br>

<br>

As for the Super-Wide II, I have a manual focus version that's a bit BGN on the outside, but delivers great pics

on the inside (see <a href=" Morning Tears <a

href=" Welcome Back and <a

href=" I'm Going to Eat You! for some examples). I love its

close-focus capability, but bizarrely, it front-focusses a bit on the K10D, but that's beside the point. I do

want to get an AF version though, but don't want to pay $125-175. In fact, $25 sounds like just the right price

:-)<br>

<br>

As for that 1000mm f/10, you're lucky for two reasons: 1) You got it cheap, and 2) I didn't bid for it :-) Yep,

I was watching it all week and went back and forth on whether I should go for it or not. When I found out that I

might be on the streets, begging come February, I decided against it. Glad you got it, and I hope you can post

some pics soon.<br>

<br>

We really need some system whereby we can avoid bidding against each other...

Rose, don't get caught up the the number of cannisters. If it make you feel better, I will ask mine to be zero.

I am guessing the canister may have to do on number of threads you started instead of number of posts you have.

Just a wild guess.

<br><br>

Recaps of what works and what stinks for me in LBA/CBA:

<br>

<ul>

<li>ebay watchlist is the culpit of everything for me in ebay, once I have something on watch list, I get tempted

from my original plan</li>

<li>worse is to see a deal too good to pass up and I end up with lens overlapping. Once I get lucky with a deal,

I usually want to repeat -- it is like winning in gambling</i>

<li>having a plan written down works well for me, especially if I have lens replacement scheme of matching new

with old to trim<li>

<li>selling unused gear is extremely difficult but satisfying when it is finally done</li>

</ul>

<b>Other thoughts in gear</b>

<ul

<li>find ways to fund purchase of new gear, have to work to earn it</li>

<li>don't spend what you have not earned yet -- from my dear Mis</li>

<li>microstock photograhpy? </li>

<li>blogging like my blog, hardly earned nickels and dimes from ads</li>

</ul>

<br>

<b>Ideas welcome to fund our hobby</b>

I forget to mention that I try out sell-1-buy1 or sell2-buy1 in the planning to fund new gear. The similar idea

like lens rental shared by Mis, Andrew and perhaps others in trying out a new lens. The caveat is that it is

very easy to buy a new lens as compared to selling one's gear at a discount -- and it hurts.

Markus, Great I'm sure you'll love the camera. Mine has been a real workhorse and in some ways I like it more than my other 2 DSLR's. Even better my wife spotted it the other day and said it was about her size and might like to go shooting with me sometime soon. She's been listening to my blather too much and is showing some interest.

Mis you're right. We need to set up a group email thing and say this is what's on the watch list.. I remember seeing the "Welcome back" shot and think I commented on how great it is. Now I know what lens. I think they are the same lens with just the AF added to the later model. Very nice glass.

Sounds great Micheal. You don't do things in a small way now do you? Great kit and with all your other stuff, the closet must be getting full.

I here that's a great lens Andrew and I look forward to some results from it.