Lazy city photography

sven_felsby

<p>I am going to attend a conference in Lisbon. While going out in the afternoon and evenings, for once I would like to let go of my Nikon D300/18-200. But the city is so beautiful, I have heard, so missing photo opportunities would be tough. Please let me hear your opinion on my three options:<br>

1. Bring my trusted Nikon FM2 + 45mm/2.8. It fits in my (big) pocket. And I´ll have to accept either cumbersome hand inspection in security OR biting my nails until I get the prints from the lab.<br>

2. Bring my pocketable Leica C-Lux 2. I can get acceptable results, but it sure ain´t fun to use. But I can always bring it with me.<br>

3. Accept sarcastic remarks from my wife about being obsessive-compulsive and schlep the D300 around. Maybe even miss some shots because the big camera sticks out like a sore thumb?<br>

Yes, I know. An Olympus E-P1 is what I need. But I´ll wait a little.</p>

<p>#1- You can also Fed Ex your film to the hotel, avoiding hand inspections. That is a good combo. I have an FM-2n and the 45/2.8, but who has a pocket that big? As much as I like the 45/2.8, on a one-lens trip, I'd be tempted to take a short zoom, at least a 35-70, or something really fast, like a 50/1.4, but the rig gets bigger.</p>

<p>#2- If it's no fun, leave it behind or better yet, sell it.</p>

<p>#3- Sarcastic remarks from the better half are a significant part of the fun of being married. The way they smirk, and their eyes light up during those lectures is priceless. Study the character Silent Bob in the movie Clerks to learn a viable repertoire of non-self-incriminating absorbent reactions. You could miss a picture if one of those lectures goes long! Sound waves hit the eardrum, then they dissipate into background radiation. Photographs will be around a lot longer. If you want to take the big rig, do so.</p>

<p>#4- Seems like a good excuse to pop for the EP-1 to me. Don't you have a secret camera acquisition slush fund? If not, it's time to start one.</p>

<p> </p>