Layover at CDG, Paris

Not quite a layover.

In March 1989 I was returning from a ski vacation in France and Switzerland. I had taken the trains from St Moritz to Paris the night before and was waiting for my flight from Paris to Toronto and then on to San Francisco. All of a sudden, these three French Police officers raced in laden with equipment which they began to unpack and dress one of their number in a bomb disposal suit. It seems someone had abandoned a package near the gate of a Middle Eastern Airline. I, of course, decided it was the perfect time to grab a few candid pictures with my trusty Nikon FTn loaded with Kodak Gold 100 and, of course no flash. The French Police disagreed and shook a stern finger at me. I smiled and pointed to the nearby pretty gate agent and got a nod. So, I snapped a picture of her.

I noticed the spool of wire that they had unloaded and a box for firing electrical blasting caps. Oh, they intend to "blow it in place". At that point I decided to put a good solid wall between me and them. A few minutes later there was a loud sound of a police whistle followed by a BANG. When I returned, there were small pieces of the cardboard package and its contents of books and VCR tapes scattered about. An interesting end to my European vacation.

Camera: Nikon FTn, Lens: Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (manual focus of course), Film: Kodak Gold 100. Scanner: Nikon CoolScan V.

I am quite happy with the results taken indoors under mixed lighting and the fact the negatives are over 30-years old.

B026F05A_2.thumb.jpg.994313709bff496d3fc838ba731eb3f6.jpg

B026F06A_2.thumb.jpg.70f76e545af0bd48a3d3d608f48592e0.jpg

B026F07A.thumb.jpg.64b64f5cb19b8fc47d2e30fb954c3621.jpg

• Like 2