Latest potato chip

<p>Most regular posters to the classic camera forum have probably heard me say Minolta cameras are like potato chips because it's hard to stop with just one. My latest SRT (this makes six) is one that has an unusual combination of features: SRT SC-II. The SC and MC series were marketed to private stores and chains (like K-Mart, for example) Later, after the run of SRT 201's and SRT 200's ended, Minolta offered remaining stock to its regular dealers. By then there wasn't much demand so our family camera shop never stocked the SC-II. I picked one up for just under 12 USD plus shipping. Very clean except for an ID# engraved on it. <br>

About the features: No self timer (like the SRT 100 &200) but it has a split screen like the SRT 202 (and later SRT 201's), and shutter speed display in VF (like SRT 201). No film memo holder, though. d<br>

Will post a photo when I can along with some photos.</p>

<p>This one came with the orginal manual. Looks to be from late 70's to very early 80's as the standard lenses listed in the manual are all MD lenses. The stores that stocked them first (like K-Mart, J.C. Penney) offered them with the 45mm f2. By the time Minolta offered them to regular dealers, the body was available separately.<br>

I loaded a roll of Plus-X in the camera late this afternoon. I will take it with me to work tomorrow. Hopefully I will have photos to post soon.</p>

<p>The other difference: notice the absence of "CLC" on the prism housing. As you may have read in earlier posts or at some of the Minolta enthusisast websites, the last SRT's only had one CDS cell in the finder for metering. Hence, CLC was no more. The original CLC (dating back to the 1966 SRT 101) was two CDS cells in series so that the light measured by one influenced the other. This favored the bottom of the frame so that bright skies weren't as likely to cause overexposure. I'm not sure if the single CDS cell of the SRT SC-II makes for center-weighting or just plain averaging as my first roll is currently washing (awaiting a scan later tonight). Either the meter is off by 1/2 to 3/4 stop or the difference in metering makes more difference than I thought. Camera is otherwise solid with no light leaks or squeaks or other issues that often crop up in "auction site" cameras. </p>

<p>The promised pictures are here. I think the reason some looked a little thin was due to the difference in metering pattern. Remember, the SRT SC-II only has a single CDS cell and therefore does not have CLC.<br>

All pictures on Plus-X processed in HC110 dilution B. Scanned at 2400 dpi with Epson V600. Resized with MS Office Photomanager.</p><div>00XQke-287739584.jpg.39b90c781b37f85c38c71044deafc833.jpg</div>

<p>I have 3 minolta x700's one x370, one 370s an XG7 (which i hate), and a "<strong id="yui_3_1_1_1_1286351425425439"> </strong>Ansco Anscoset, Rokkor 45/2.8" (is the same as the Minolta Uniomat).</p>

<p>I don't have enough Manoltage yet<br>

:)</p>

<p>Thanks. For those of you who follow this forum regularly, you may suspect that I have more Minolta gear than any other kind. Your suspicions are correct. Of course, I got a head start with Minolta from my family's camera shop. At the time I bought my first SRT, I had the choice of Konica, Canon, Yashica, Contax, Olympus, and Fujica. Now, years later (and not on a college kid's budget like I was when I got my first SRT) it's a buyers' market for most used classics so I'm acquiring many of the cameras and lenses that I couldn't afford new (even at dealer cost) as well as some brands we didn't sell. </p>

<p>Yes, this is one those last edition post-1980 SRT's. From the outside, the different speed dial knurling and rewind drum ID's it. On the inside it would have the brighter finer fresnel screen and singlet eyepiece lens. We found that even when not marked CLC, some of these still had the 2 metercells. If your's has only the one metercell it would meter different and centerweighted.</p>

<p>According to Minolta's records the serial numbers for these SCII's starts at 9570000 (serial number moved to the shoe dress cover). If you look at the last digits on yours, you'd get a feel on how few of these were made.</p>

<p>You are correct, Jason about some still having the two cells even though the CLC marking was dropped. The instruction manual for mine says it only has one cell, but I would rely on actual tests to be sure. The two cell CLC arrangement could almost be called "bottom centerweighted" as it will favor meter reading near the center bottom of the focusing screen. When metering a compact bright light source there is a big jump in light levels indicated by the meter needle. For a non-CLC SRT this jump wouldn't occur in the same area.</p>

• 1 month later...