large format Polaroid portraits

Errr, what am I missing?

In order to be displayed on an LCD screen, an image has to be already digitised. Therefore it can be sent to a printer for a hard copy, and printed at whatever size you like. With no need for polaroid, or any other type of film.

There's usually a keypress combination to capture a screen shot to a permanent file. On an Android pad/phone it's volume-down+power. Neither know nor care what the combo is on Apple kit.

• Like 1

Errr, what am I missing?

In order to be displayed on an LCD screen, an image has to be already digitised. Therefore it can be sent to a printer for a hard copy, and printed at whatever size you like. With no need for polaroid, or any other type of film.

There's usually a keypress combination to capture a screen shot to a permanent file. On an Android pad/phone it's volume-down+power. Neither know nor care what the combo is on Apple kit.

Thank you for your reply. About 50 years ago I did some large format photography and darkroom work. My recent purchase of a 12.9" Ipad Pro got me fantasizing about the old days. I hope to get a heavier tripod, focusing cloth and Ipad tripod mount and relive part of the 1960's. I guess my post was more of a romantic fantasy than anything. I remember the time it took to plan and execute a shot and the pleasure I received. It's not about digitizing or keypress compinations for a screen shots. It's about seeing that inverted image on the groundglass.

Hasn't 8x10" Polaroid film been discontinued for quite a while?

What is the appeal of screen to Polaroid contact printing? - Myself I'd just be tempted to shoot the 4K screen, displaying dedicated inverted GIFs with Multigrade loaded into the 13x18cm.

Errr, what am I missing?

What is the appeal of screen to Polaroid contact printing? - Myself I'd just be tempted to shoot the 4K screen, displaying dedicated inverted GIFs with Multigrade loaded into the 13x18cm.

Thank you for your reply. I guess my post was a romanticized fantasy of the 1960's when I photographed and worked in the darkroom with 4x5 and 5x7 film.

You may be able to come close to what you want. There are many portable printers designed for wireless use with phones and I Pads. I gave my daughter and daughter in law versions last Christmas. I know the Canon Selphy does a good job. Might achieve the substance of your idea.

Thank you.

• Like 1

In addition to the Canon Selphy, there are also the Instax SP-2, SP-3 printers which produce a photo on Instax instant film, very similar to Polaroid integral film.

While the prints are small (Instax mini is credit card size), they look and feel like Polaroids. By comparison, the Canon Selphy prints look and feel like minilab prints.

I own and use both. The Selphy is about the size of a large hardback book and, while it can be battery powered (expensive optional extra), it needs to be set on a table to print. The Instax is battery powered and slips in a pocket, it's a bit bigger than a packet of 20 cigarettes. Both give very high quality prints, but both have their limits. The Instax definitely has more character and charm to it's prints, the Selphy is half the price for a print two to four times the size.

With the Instax printers, it is perfectly possible to shoot a photo, then immediately print and give it to the subject, without a computer. You can do this either using a smartphone/tablet or with one of Fujifilm's 'X' series digital cameras.

It's not about digitizing or keypress compinations for a screen shots. It's about seeing that inverted image on the groundglass

Maybe get back to that? - Touristic consumer field cameras of the pre-WW2 era seem kind of portable. X-ray film might be a cost cutting option.

Digital meeting analog muscle memory can feel odd. - I noticed myself turning a camera with flippy screen into the wrong direction due to being used to WLFs.

Maybe get back to that? - Touristic consumer field cameras of the pre-WW2 era seem kind of portable. X-ray film might be a cost cutting option.

Digital meeting analog muscle memory can feel odd. - I noticed myself turning a camera with flippy screen into the wrong direction due to being used to WLFs.

At least with a view camera you knew the picture would always be inverted.

Wouldn't that require an app that maybe even messes with the core or iOS's (miss)behaviors? - I am using Android smart devices and have none, that would display an (uncluttered) image, when I hit the power button.

I wonder if Ricochetrider was thinking on the order of a contact print from the Ipad and maybe from the there to developing trays, stop bath, and fixer in the darkroom? Photoshop on the Ipad could convert the image to a negative. It's been a long time since I was in a darkroom but when I exposed photosensitive paper under an enlarger and then developed it, it became a positive.

• Like 1

I’ve never done any such myself but any photosensitive paper exposed to an image source whether via a lens, a pinhole, or whatever... wouldn’t it create a photo- whether a positive or negative image?

exposing through a lens onto photo sensitive paper would create the reverse of positive image but if you open the camera on an iPad and aim it at something you’re gonna get something that’s nearly the size of the iPad itself. Seems like if you could black things out and expose only the paper, pressed against the glass of the pad?

John Chiara exposes large sheets of photo paper in his large home made cameras, seems to me, without knowing exactly - that the same principles could be applied in other ways? Like a camera obscura without the camera- exposing photo paper via the iPad.

just guessing here.

DIY Camera: John Chiara’s Giant Camera Obscura | PDN Online

any photosensitive paper exposed to an image source whether via a lens, a pinhole, or whatever... wouldn’t it create a photo- whether a positive or negative image?

It would.

The problem that worries me: How do you turn your light emitting screen off, while you mount the paper on it and get it to display just that however prepared image you had in mind? - Regular photo paper should be way(!) too sensitive for a "oh just be swift, the regular exposure takes 5+x minutes, so the paper mounting instant shouldn't matter"

Folks using paper in cameras with lenses tend to have shutters (and be those just a black hat assisting their dark slides.

At some point in time positive paper must have existed - Cibachrome... But I never worked with such.

• Like 1

It would.

The problem that worries me: How do you turn your light emitting screen off, while you mount the paper on it and get it to display just that however prepared image you had in mind? - Regular photo paper should be way(!) too sensitive for a "oh just be swift, the regular exposure takes 5+x minutes, so the paper mounting instant shouldn't matter"

Folks using paper in cameras with lenses tend to have shutters (and be those just a black hat assisting their dark slides.

At some point in time positive paper must have existed - Cibachrome... But I never worked with such.

Cibachrome was pretty slow in my experience, but I don't think it would be slow enough to use an iPad for exposure as described . Let's not even think about controlling color balance that way...

It would.

Another app.

• Like 1

2042559426_leafonwhite.thumb.jpg.593a062fbe9040ff780128642937618f.jpg

Several years ago I tried using my iPad 4 as a white background screen for macro shots of translucent leaves. I was disappointed at the results which showed the discontinuous structure of the screen. There are also Moire effects of displaying this cropped image, or the original full-resolution image, on computer screens. What you see in your viewfinder is not necessarily what you get on screen!

The resolution of the 12.9 inch iPad Pro is 2048 x 2732 pixels, or about 5.5 MP total. This compares to several hundred million MP equivalent for typical 8x10 film, so I think that you would end up with some of the same problems that I experienced.

• Like 1

Hi there

I noticed that supersense will atrke your digital image and then make it into a 8X10 or even the legendary 20x24. They do this by putting the ipad infront of the lens much like how the instant lab works. Check their processes here - Make your photos real - SUPERSENSE Photoservice

Also I found this. Not digital but a way to turn slide into 8x10. See here - Polaroid POLARPRINTER 8x10 Model 0020 *RARE* Inc. Instructions & 35mm Spacers | eBay

• 3 weeks later...