Large Format Lens Mount Pin

rafal_m

Hello,

I've got a modern Nikon Nikkor-W 13mm 1:5.6 with modern Copal 0 shutter. Just

wondering if anybody know what type/size of thread the little retain pin at the

back of the lens/shutter is? Some lens boards have a little notch to

accommodate this little pin, but I'm just wondering if there is a standard size

for it. Thank you all in advance for your help.

-Rafal

I too remove the pins, but keep them as a "lengthener" for those lens which need a slighly longer throw than a cable release may provide or for which the shutter release catch needs to be flatter than the available cable release. I am presently using one on a #4 studio shutter for which I could not find a cable release with a sufficient throw. BTW, double check that the pin to insure it will not fall inside the shutter, e.g., it may occur with a betax #2 shutter.

The pin was originally for those lenses mounted on press cameras which were usually fired with a solenoid. The pin kept the shutter from rotating when fired with the solenoid.

There is really no reason for them today unless you are using them in the manner first intended.

The pin can help if you're mounting the lens on a slippery board and don't want to torque it too much.

The finishes on some of the wooden boards, and some of the smoother metal boards, will present this problem. I leave the pin in place when it's convenient to do so, just so I don't lose it, and it really does help; just takes a bit longer to configure the board to accept the lens with pin.

But I agree -- as above, you don't really need it if you don't want it.

And oh, I've no idea if there's a standard thread, but probably on the order of really really small, like 2-56 -- or more likely, something metric.