Large Format Groups and Classes

mike_hoogendyk

We have a wonderful, long-running (over 10 years) large format

class at Scottsdale Community College here in Phoenix, Arizona,

taught by a former assistant to Oliver Gagliani, named Rod Klukas.

Many of the people in it have been taking the class for years.

Experience runs from beginner to advanced/mature. Each semester

there are both field trips and guest photographer speakers.

There is also a really neat, local, large format photographers'

group called Imageworks with 25 members. One of its main purposes is

to promote large format, fine art photography in the local community.

Out of total curiousity, do similar classes and local groups for

large format exist elsewhere, or are we just spectacularly blessed?

There are a number of large format groups around the country, View Camera magazine publishes a list of some of them in each issue. I don't know about courses, I don't think there are many devoted solely to large format though I don't really know for sure. You're fortunate to have one that's offered every year and with an instructor of Rod's ability and reputation.

Jon, I don't know about a county institution establishing outside of state programs, but folks are always welcome to visit. We basically have "open house" for two nights of finals, which are each student showing and talking about six images they did during the semester. Snacks and soft drinks included. In addition, guests are invited each time we have the opportunity for an outside photographer show their works - folks such as Joan Myers, Jay Dusard, Jody Forester, Randy Efros, etc. Randy will also bring collections of Kim, Cole, Brett and Ed Weston. I think it was Forester that came through with some Ansel Adams photos which he was transporting from one show to another. We also take periodic trips to the Center for Creative Photography in Tucson to view prints from all the masters. This semester's finals are the evenings of May 5 and 12 from 6 PM to 10 PM. Just email and I can put you in touch with the instructor for permission to come and watch.

Oops. Forgot. Dick Arentz, master printer of platinum & palladium printing, from Flagstaff also comes down once or twice a year to show his work. We also take two or three field trips per semester to such places as the Tumacacori Mission, the Sierra Anchas Wilderness Area, Jerome, Globe, the Painted Desert, etc. Like I said, its a wonderful class. Is there nothing out there that compares?

If there is any club activity in the Silicon Valley area I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. One of my first posts to this website was a query about the existence of any LF-friendly camera clubs around here.

<P>

Reading the website intro's to the clubs that DO exist in the area, lends me the strong impression that LF would not be welcome. (They make a point of stating that their emphasis ..."is on the images, <I>not</I> the equipment".)

<P>Not that us LF'ers don't likewise care more about the image than the equipment, but ... well, we all know what I'm getting at.

<P>

Nobody from those clubs posted a denial or invitation in response to my posting, so either I assumed correctly, or none of them ever visit here.

<P>

The Bay Area LF group in Yahoo just emphasizes the inactivity, as posts are extremely rare.

Well Bryce, it's because we are a bunch of loners here in the Valley. I enjoy talking with LF photographers the few times I meet them out on the paths of Alviso or up in the hills, but I'm not much of a club joiner.

Maybe someday we otter get together and compare favorite equipment, shooting styles, etc.

tim in san jose

• 2 weeks later...

Mike...

I am thinking about it. I have my kids that weekend and we are thinking about a one day trip to Monterey, them to see the Aquarium, me to browse with the LF nuts. We'll see if it happens. Sunday is Pinhole camera day and the goils and I have plans to shoot in the morning.

tim in san jose

• 3 years later...

Just checking in on the large format forum, it's been a while.

(Thank you Mike for the kind words)

If anyone is interested, Randy Efros and I have an upcoming workshop in November.

Details are here:

<a href="http://rodsworkshops.blogspot.com/">Arca Swiss/Large Format Workshop</a>

This is for anyone wishing to improve their skills with a view camera, or also for those

wishing to make the step up in format.

<a href="http://www.rodklukas.com/">Rod Klukas</a>