Laptop keyboard trouble - Advice?

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by Jochen, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Help! My elderly Toshiba Sattelite worked quite fine until yesterday. When I thought it needed a reboot today I was stuck with a mostly dead built in keyboard. I updated drivers ran virus scanner etc. What puzzles me is that a few keys of my QWERTZ board are still working:
    qüasdgjbn <- are the currently usable leftovers of the entire alphabet.
    Any ideas what could cause such? - Internal dirt & keyboard's flat cable interaction?
    Thanks in advance for any kind of advice; I don't have enough USB ports to connect an external board mouse and an external LAN adapter.

2. Is Bluetooth active? If so, you can use a variety of BT keyboards, including Apple.

3. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

If you have a vacuum cleaner, you might try gently vacuuming the keyboard. Any chance someone could have spilled liquid into it? Happened to me once, quite a mess.

4. Thanks both! @
    Are all wireless ones BT? - I should have some leftover that came with an USB stick for Desktops. I'm usually no fan of such wireless domestic everyday use stuff; I figured out that batteries tend to die in the most annoying moments.
    @ Sandy: I'm the only pig residing here and admittedly sad that desktop keyboards aren't made to be run through the dishwashing machine once or twice each year, but those I binned in the past due to accumulated internal dirt felt much better than this undead laptop board. - I usually don't buy laptops. In the light of keyboard consumption they look like the world's most expensive cardboard plates in my eyes. - This one was an irresistibly cheap hand me down and I got a fair share of use out of it.
    A repair tech online buddy guessed wires inside the board should be to blame and a replacement part about 20€/$ on the auction site. I'll buy an USB HUB first, lacking confidence into my watchmaking skills.