Lack of depth

Depth is such a vague word. What do you mean? Do you mean depth of field, tonal range, saturation, contrast?

Whatever the problem, I'm doubtful the camera is the problem. It could be the settings you use, the lenses, post-processing, or just general photography know-how.

No, probably not. Maybe he just have a better lens and/or maybe you should just learn how to expose picture properly - light meters always cheat :P ok, they don't if you know how to use it. Try gray card (13% or 18%), spot metering, RAW and HDR or buy a film camera and scanner :)

Successful images are the sum of 90% photographic technique/vision and 10% gear. Trade

cameras for a week with your friend and observe the results. Once he learns how to operate

your camera his pictures will look exactly same as his earlier results.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Yes...It is well documented the world over...Canon cameras have much less depth than

Nikons. Sorry to all of you canon users out there (myself included), you must sell all of your

gear, and buy nikon to achieve better depth.

Try to improve your compositions, rendering a 3D world in a 2D image requires lots of skill. Also, try to shoot under interesting light conditions, for landscapes. Avoid flat light, it does not provide "depth" to your subjects.

Sell my Canon gear? "No Way Jose" (replace Jose with Mike) :). Check out my recent post on my site to see "Depth of Field" with a Canon.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?topic_id=1481&msg_id=00LGYf&photo_id=6003014&photo_sel_index=0

Paulo is correct. Learning to work with the FStop, lighting conditions, and subject matter placement takes practice. Keep at it and you will find that your photos will improve.