I will be visiting Sydney/Melbourne, Australia in October and I plan to buy

some photopgraphic equipment and films. Can anyone recommend me a reliable

online store like B+H in Australia so I can purchase via online prior my

departure and have my goods sent to my cousin's house in Sydney? Also, can

anyone recommend me a professional lab who does E6 processing? I mainly shoot

slides. Thank you for the info!

Best Reagards,

Ed

Australians don't do online shopping... Stange, but true. They still all get into their cars and

drive to overpriced malls with a limitted selection. It should be the perfect country for online

retailers, but even Amazon hasn't dared enter it yet. Heck, you can buy Dell PCs in stores!

I never bother with what you are doing in any location, I always brought my own film and had

it developed at home. Don't worry about airport scanners, especially with ISO100 slide film.

Really?????? Online shopping is the most convenient way to buy things. Well, in my country I am currently living now, Indonesia, don't have reliable E6 processing labs here (as far as i know). Last time I went to a lab which is the most recommended amongst photographers, all i got are some scratches and marks found in 10% of total slide. Velvia 50 cost about US$ 9.50 here and they are rare. So I wonder if I can get the cheapness and pro lab in Auzzie.

Edward - have to disagree with Bas - who from his profile doesnt actually live in Australia. I live in Sydney and buy ALL of my equipment online. I havent tried buying film online. Compared to other parts of the world film is not that expensive here. If you went to somewhere like Teds Camera Store, or Vanbar you would get a bulk discount.

Here is one link for online film I found fairly quickly. http://www.camerastore.com.au/ProShop/Professional+Film_35mm+Professional+Film_1.htm

As far as a Prolab goes there are plenty of excellent ones. I have used Vision Graphics to do my slides for years and never had a problem.

http://www.visiongraphics.com.au/

Nothing like a good, generalizing reply to get a proper response! :D My statement is based

on the complaints for my aussie friends (of which one tends to have a few when living in

London and being married to an Australian!) My Googling to prove them wrong about a year

ago was unsuccessful, maybe they are just playing hard to find.

Mind you, that online store doesn't stock the Velvia (or any other pro slide film) Edward is

looking for. So probably still best off going to a local shop when he arrives, as you suggest.

I hope the situation changes; from next year I'll be doing all my shopping there...

Jason, please don't feel offended; it has nothing to do with IT savvyness. But you yourself

tell him going to a brick-and-mortar store is probably the best way forward for film, which

kind of proves my point...

camerastore.com.au does seem like a good source for equipment, though. Quite

reasonable prices. (similar to UK online stores) Is that were you get all your gear from, or

others as well?

Edward: I would re-post your question in the General forum, it gets a lot more readers, so

probably also a lot more Australians who may know of some hard-to-find small online

film stores.

Jason, thanks! I quickly browse the link you gave me and checked the price. I am surprised because it is much more expensive than B+H in USA and definitely more expensive then here, Indoensia. For example a roll of Velvia 50 cost US$14.55. That is very very pricey. Also a Nikon 50/1.8D cost about US$ 122.00 that's US$ 20 more from US price and a US$ 10 more than here. Again, an AFS 17-35/2.8 Nikon cost about US$ 1700, compared to US $1400. Very very pricey........thanks for the info!