laura_dunn

I just got a set of proofs back from the lab, and thought it was odd they sent

four boxes. When I opened them, I was a bit overwhelmed and realized they

must have sent two sets of prints. I haven't gone throuh all of them yet, but

it looks like this was the case. I double checked and wasn't charged for

them. Question is, do I hang on to them, only to possibly end up tossing most

of them down the road (I certainly don't need ALL of them!), send them to the

bride as a bonus, ask if she wants to purchase them? I'm leaning towards just

sending them to her, but I don't want to overwhelm her with too many photos.

I'll divide them up, maybe put one set in the nice presentation boxes I use,

and the other packaged a bit more simple? Any advice? Sorry for such a silly

question!

Laura - I get two sets of proofs at no charge all the time! I do it on purpose.

I save the second set with the negatives in a acid free photo box with the name and date on the outside... Often I use them to update my sample books, send prints to florists, bands, venues, churches...

With my business card and a sticker on the back.

I also take 40 or so of my favorites and put them in a book with blank black board pages in sequential/artistic order. Some pages have one image and some pages have interesting cropped 4x6 so I can put more on a page. For instance I might have a 2z2 and a 3x6 and a 3x3 image on a page of getting ready... It costs me about $35. The book is not formal or fancy and is probably about 7 1/2 inches by 8 inches. Great for carrying to the office to show off the wedding.

Doing this book has increased my album sales. Couples actually "see" that a formal album along these lines on a larger more upscale scale would look! Much easier to visualize and pick pictures for an album with this little teaser.

My couples and the parents - usually say - we want to put together a larger album using the ones you picked and some additional shots we want to add. Since I don't put "formal group shots" in the album - that is usually the bulk of what they add plus a few of their favorites.

After a year - I go through my boxes and get rid of all but my favorite shots. I like having a paper record of some of my best work.

I will add that I was able to get lots of press in the local Bridal section of local newspapers with 4x6 prints! A few covers too! It is nice to have those extra prints....

Well...now that I've sorted the photos, first glance I thought there was an extra set...there is THREE extra sets. I'll be calling the lab in the morning. Chances are they won't want them back, and I don't think I should have to pay to ship them back....so I may be passing extras on to the bride and being creative with the rest! Either way, I will let them know, this could be a major expense for them if someone is screwing up orders.

What lab do you use? If it is a bigger lab then they will not care but a smaller one may have you send them back just because. You can offer buy a parent album(set of proofs in this case) and get one discounted or free but watch as a friend of the bride may see that discount and future weddings may com eback to haunt you by them saying hey you gave Sally a free set with purchase of a set. So if you do offer a discount offer it as the September discount(like a 1 time deal type). Really I think small or large labs will say keep them but I know some smaller labs can be hard to deal with.

Good luck