Lab comparison: BayPhoto, WHCC, ezprints [CafePress]

<p>I've just created a SmugMug <em>portfolio-level</em> site, and as some of you may know, SmugMug offers you a choice of labs for your clients' printing needs. Here are the three located in the US:</p>

<p>1. BayPhoto<br /> 2. WHCC<br /> 3. ezprints [CafePress]</p>

<p>I've heard BayPhoto recommended here before, so I'm inclined to go with them (although I think I recall WHCC had a number of fans here as well). I'm specifically looking for either Durst Lambda or Lightjet Type-C prints. For certain applications, I'll also want a digital instant press (e.g., HP Indigo). If anyone has experience with one or more of the above, I'd appreciate your comments!</p>

<p>We use Bay and WHCC, each for different products. Since setting up an account is free, I suggest you open accounts at all and order some samples. Calibrating monitors and workflow will help you get what you see on your screen. You can also take economics into account, as some labs have minimums with free shipping while others charge for shipping with no minimum order. My Zenfolio account uses Miller's for fulfillment, and my clients seem to be very happy with their prints. All labs offer paper samples or very low-cost sample packs with your files, so take advantage of them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm specifically looking for either Durst Lambda or Lightjet Type-C prints. For certain applications, I'll also want a digital instant press (e.g., HP Indigo).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ideally the lab you use has <strong>both</strong> if you expect a fairly close match and need to push the issue. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• 4 years later...
<blockquote>

<p>I'm specifically looking for either Durst Lambda or Lightjet Type-C prints. For certain applications, I'll also want a digital instant press (e.g., HP Indigo).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ideally the lab you use has <strong>both</strong> if you expect a fairly close match and need to push the issue. </p>

Checkout DPI Direct in San Diego. They have 2 Lightjets and do amazing work.