KR vs. K-7 ?

bobbollinger

<p>I need video capability for the web, and am looking for a backup body to my K10d for primarily scenic photography. <br>

The prices of the K-7 body and the KR body are about the same online now, due to the introduction of the K-5. <br>

But I can't decide which one to get. Any advice from those who are more familiar with these two bodies would be appreciated. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Keep in mind the following, Bob.</p>

<ol>

<li>The K-7 shoots 720p30</li>

<li>The K-x shoots 720p24</li>

<li>The K-r shoots 720p25</li>

<li>The K-5 shoots 1080p25.</li>

</ol>

<p>North American NTSC standard is 30 FPS, European PAL is 25 FPS, and movies are at 24 FPS. So which resolution+frame rate best meets your needs? In my opinion, this is a big reason Canon is cleaning up in the DSLR as video camera market. They have just about all the standard resolution AND frame rate standard combinations covered in their 60D, 7D, and 5D Mark II models.<br>

By the way, I have a K-x. Video is not what I bought it for, but it does work reasonably well.</p>

<p>I have K20D and I bought K-x as a backup and traveling body. It has worked great but falls short in the build to be durable body. My <strong><a href="http://www.techtheman.com/2010/10/pentax-customer-service.html">K-x became unusable 9 months</a></strong> into its wonderful service and it took me close to 5 1/2 weeks to get it repaired under service warranty. I would expect K-r in the same realm like the K-x. <br>

.<br>

You really have to see if high ISO is important to you. I think K7 is much better value to keep it for longer term and with weather sealing. Both K-r and K7 are good bodies but K7 will be the best value for the price point. I like my K-x over my K20D in the high ISO performance but if that is not important to you, the K7 is the obvious choice for me if I was in your shoes as I learned that K-x or K-r can be a good traveling body but it falls short as the main or backup body if you need a more reliable body to count on.</p>

<p>Whoooaaaaa Nellie!!!!!</p>

<p>Pretend I know nothing about cameras, assume that you are justifying this purchase to say your non photographically interested wife.</p>

<p>Why and how would the K-7 be a backup to the K10D?</p>

<p>The K10D was a great camera, and those (like myself) not choosing to upgrade to the K20D didn't really lose a lot, although even the K20D was slightly better at IQ, especially when you toss in the extra resolution. One of the big reasons I didn't upgrade actually was the inability to turn off noise reduction, which was a big factor for me. I also didn't like how I felt the sensor yielded inconsistent images. The K-7 improved on both those features.</p>

<p>Where I'm really confused by the original post is you state, "for scenic photography." The K-7 is perfectly suited for this. As a matter of fact, it's minor flaws absolutely 100% DON'T pertain to that genre. If anything it might be the very best APS camera on the market both dollar for dollar and overall for this genre.</p>

<p>As far as the video I've seen quite a few professional video productions from the K-7, and these been impressive. The Pentax I-10 commercial was shot with the K-7, and Uncle Jack, which was basically shot in the dark. Not to mention some other stuff I've seen by people on these forums.</p>

<p>All in all, when the build of the K-7 is factored in vs. the K-r, I'd be inclined to go with the K-7.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks, guys, and Hin Man is correct about my intentions. I should have worded it more clearly. Obviously a K-7, as a more advanced body, would not be a backup to a K10, but the other way around. <br>

Your comments have all been helpful. I think you have convinced me to go with the K-7 due to the value it possesses at that price point. The weather sealing is potentially very important and William's point about the video is good as well. I think the K-7's video will be sufficient for what I plan to use if for, which is short video used to market my non-photo related professional business on the web. <br>

Thanks again for the comments. <br>

BB </p>

<p> </p>